Need advice for 10 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squall

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am about to start my 10 gallon tank next week. I am still seeding my media in my 60 gallon tank so while I am waiting, I want to get some ideas on my stocking plan for it.

I plan to make it a planted one (my first try for a planted tank). For livestock, I plan to put in:
6 - Neon Tetras
6 - Dwarf cories (still searching what will be available in my LFS)
2 - Platies (will 4 work?)
Do I have a good stocking list? Can I probably squeeze in a pitbull pleco in there? What else can I put in there that will work for my planned stock?

For the plants, I don't exactly have any clue what to put in there. What plants for a beginner like me will be easy to start with?
My lighting will be a single 18" 15w 8000k T8.
Filter will be Aquaclear 30
Substrate will be PFS.
I also have 2 small Malaysian DW to put in there.

Personally, I would not encourage neon tetras in a 10g. I feel that they belong in more swimming room.

The dwarf cories should work and the platies (four). You could also try guppies or endlers. The bottom is going to be too crowded for the pleco, IMO.

I would stock first your platies (an guppies or whatever else you chose) and then do cories.

Beginner plants? Anubias, java fern, java moss, anarcharis. I wouldn't know how strong those lights are other than beginner plants.

Squall said:
So I am about to start my 10 gallon tank next week. I am still seeding my media in my 60 gallon tank so while I am waiting, I want to get some ideas on my stocking plan for it.

I plan to make it a planted one (my first try for a planted tank). For livestock, I plan to put in:
6 - Neon Tetras
6 - Dwarf cories (still searching what will be available in my LFS)
2 - Platies (will 4 work?)
Do I have a good stocking list? Can I probably squeeze in a pitbull pleco in there? What else can I put in there that will work for my planned stock?

For the plants, I don't exactly have any clue what to put in there. What plants for a beginner like me will be easy to start with?
My lighting will be a single 18" 15w 8000k T8.
Filter will be Aquaclear 30
Substrate will be PFS.
I also have 2 small Malaysian DW to put in there.

Instead of the neons you could do 6-8 ember tetras, 2 platys and the 6 cories. I wouldn't do the pleco. 6 cories is already pushing it.

Thanks ladies! I'm looking at the ember tetra or some fancy guppies. And I'll go with the dwarf cories.
Will I be able to add atleast one centerpiece fish? If so what can you suggest?

Squall said:
Thanks ladies! I'm looking at the ember tetra or some fancy guppies. And I'll go with the dwarf cories.
Will I be able to add atleast one centerpiece fish? If so what can you suggest?

If you don't get the platys then you could get a dwarf gourami or a Betta.

Great ideas, IMO go with the dwarf gourami, they are awesome with peaceful fish, and they have great personalities.

I've read somewhere that Dwarf Gouramis are sensitive? What special requirements does it need?
I am going to make this tank a planted one and it is my first time to try out live plants so I hope that will help my stocking considerations.

With the stock that you suggested, the platys would be centerpiece fish. I agree that embers would be awesome in a 10g though if you wanted them.

Squall said:
I've read somewhere that Dwarf Gouramis are sensitive? What special requirements does it need?
I am going to make this tank a planted one and it is my first time to try out live plants so I hope that will help my stocking considerations.

Dwarfs can be sensitive. They have a tendency to die for no reason. Some are over bred/in bred and that makes them weak. But don't let that stop you getting one. They are beautiful little fish. I have one in my 17g and he's got great personality. If you find a good suppier it increases your chances of getting a healthy one.

Mumma.of.two said:
Dwarfs can be sensitive. They have a tendency to die for no reason. Some are over bred/in bred and that makes them weak. But don't let that stop you getting one. They are beautiful little fish. I have one in my 17g and he's got great personality. If you find a good suppier it increases your chances of getting a healthy one.

Actually I had one in my 60 when I was doing a fish-in cycle. Didn't know it was sensitive so he died after a week. I really liked his color, but now I'm afraid I won't be able to maintain one. I will probably try another one when I have a more mature tank so for now I'll probably stick with the platies, they are colorful as well. Thanks for the suggestions :)

I would wait until you have everything up and running. Honestly, the platies and guppies (if you get them) are going to be attraction grabbing. Excited, brightly colored fish is about as good as you are going to get.

I know from experience bettas are difficult when it comes to communities. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. So you have to have a back up plan (return or a separate tank).

I encourage you to set everything up and then see if you need a centerpiece.

IMO look for DGs from a reputable LFS or a local breeder. Those DGs you see nowadays are in-bred and a lot more sensitive.

Bettas IME work in communities, however that's totally dependent on your betta. To test out his personality, usually it's recommended to buy some cheap ghost shrimp and see how he does with them. Not attacking them? Fish-safe. Eating them? Not fish-safe, I would just add a nerite snail or chooes a different fish.

Yeah, the platys are indeed very colorful. I love mine. Also, when you have a couple in a 10g tank, they really do look awesome and draw the eye, so they are excellent centerpiece fish for smaller tanks IMO.
Good idea to wait on the dg. Personally, I avoid keeping them because of the sensitivity, but I know plenty of people do have good luck with them. Still, waiting until the tank is established is a good idea.
BTW, in case you were still wondering, IMO a pitbull pleco is not suitable for that tank because they like to be in groups and are a bit too big and active for a 10g. If you never have a 20g tank though, they would make an awesome addition!

Ember tetras are a better choice than neons for a 10 gallon, IMO. Most of the time they don't look like much of anything when you see them at a shop, but they are VERY colorful once they get settled in.

I would skip the DG since healthy ones are so hard to find. You could try a honey gourami instead, they stay a little smaller anyway.

Thanks everbody! Just started the 10 gallon. Water is still a bit cloudy. I am running a filter floss right now in the AC 30. I will see if it clears out tomorrow morning.

image-2399399417.jpg

Back
Top Bottom