Need advice in rockscaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollex.jaypee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have this 75 gal but I really don't have that innate talent with rockscaping.
I know, I know. As a general rule: do not combine rocks of different types. But I had to because I have mostly mbunas and these were the only rocks that I have. Some medium to large slate and some holey rocks (that are not even the same color. The left ones turned brown due to diatoms I guess, the right ones are new additions)

Soo...any advice for arranging them to make the tank visually pleasing and at the same time, suitable for my cichlids?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 12431378_950590898361333_1621235382_n.jpg
    12431378_950590898361333_1621235382_n.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 66
I like having medium to big rocks on both sides with one side having slightly smaller rocks and both sides having rocks pointing away from the middle. Anything left i try to arrange in the middle with the height lower than the smallest side.

So like...

\
\ \ /
\ \. ~~~~~~ / /

Dumb drawing but you get the idea

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Hi. Your tank and fish look really good. I personally don't mind mixed rocks.
I would personally not split the slates up as they look a bit of an after thought. I would maybe stack them or group them to become a feature in their own right. A slate feature can be made out of the tank with dry slates and silicon sealant to ensure it is a sturdy structure.
At a quick glance your decor looks to be angled from the bottom left and right towards the centre top. This leaves the left and right at the top a little bare. Maybe one or two larger rocks could be slanted out towards the top corners at the back.
Leave one or two areas with no rock, towards the front, your rocks are spread very evenly and might look more interesting if you had rockier areas and non-rocky areas.
You have plenty to play with and it would take me many attempts until I was satisfied. Do post more pictures if you change things around.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Big sea just got in before me but his drawing echoes what I was trying to say about the larger slanting rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Like stacking rocks?????

You could always do some floating plants. Duckweed is my personal favorite. Its lightweight so it doesnt make unsightly clumps and the root system is super fine so it doesnt block a lot of light.

It's hard to explain how I would adjust it.. So I figured I'd just let you see my tank and hopefully get some inspiration off that.

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1451369322146.jpg
    1451369322146.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 51
Honestly sometimes you have to completely destroy your scape to appreciate it lol

Im super OCD and il spend hours trying to achieve a specific look only to realize i liked my original setup.

Your tank looks great man.

Just marinate. Let the ideas come to you.

Back
Top Bottom