Need advice on a freshwater setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogger19

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, back at this again. Just completed the bar arm rail. Decided to go the freshwater route in the tank and get a bunch of cichlids. Need advice on a freshwater setup.

Since the tank already has 2 overflows and I habe a 100 gallon underneath for a sump...I might as well use it. How should I set up the filtratio20180227_191820.jpgn and what should I buy? What temperature should I keep the tank at? Also, what should I do for lightning?

Thanks!

Looks like there is a canopy to hide the light and plants are no concern . so really any source of light will do, perhaps a led shoplight?

Temperature - 78 is a safe bet. Adjust per your specific stock

As for sump you will naturally need a return pump, I liked the eheim compact I had. My return was routed into perforated plastic container with foam to catch debris and then stove cleaners for bio media out of which it dripped into the sump.

Looks like there is a canopy to hide the light and plants are no concern . so really any source of light will do, perhaps a led shoplight?

Temperature - 78 is a safe bet. Adjust per your specific stock

As for sump you will naturally need a return pump, I liked the eheim compact I had. My return was routed into perforated plastic container with foam to catch debris and then stove cleaners for bio media out of which it dripped into the sump.

Thanks for the reply. What if I wanted to just have some simple lake moss or something to that effect in there? Would any fancier lighting be required? Im leaning towards the florescent T% shop light idea.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. What if I wanted to just have some simple lake moss or something to that effect in there? Would any fancier lighting be required? Im leaning towards the florescent T% shop light idea.

Thanks

If you go with T5's you'll have no issues growing most plants. how man bulbs are you looking at?

If you go with T5's you'll have no issues growing most plants. how man bulbs are you looking at?

Im not sure. I was just looking at picking up a couple of 2 bulb fixtures from Menards. Tank is 210 gallons at 72in long I believe. Do you think 4 bulbs would be enough? I want the tank to be bright.

Im not sure. I was just looking at picking up a couple of 2 bulb fixtures from Menards. Tank is 210 gallons at 72in long I believe. Do you think 4 bulbs would be enough? I want the tank to be bright.

Depends on how well the reflector's are made. If they have polished aluminum reflectors, 4 is loads of light, 2-3 would be better suited. If they have crummy reflectors or are T5-No output (not T5-Hight output) than 4 should be good. Keep your photo period to 6 hours a day to start, are you may have an algae farm.

Depends on how well the reflector's are made. If they have polished aluminum reflectors, 4 is loads of light, 2-3 would be better suited. If they have crummy reflectors or are T5-No output (not T5-Hight output) than 4 should be good. Keep your photo period to 6 hours a day to start, are you may have an algae farm.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice!

I use 2 of the 36" finnex 24/7 and 2 of the DA FSPEC on my 180.
The 24/7 are really like an accent lamp with their feature being main reason they are there.
The 2 FSPECS light the tank up pretty nice by themselves .
I chose 32 @36 for ease of install and incase something goes wrong I am only 50% screwed !
I have several of the FSPECS and none have failed yet..Finnex 24/7 is 33% failure rate so far..:nono:
There are many threads on the DA FSPEC on TPT if you are thinking of plants. They probably have but more insight ,but the ones I read basically liked the light.
I don't keep live plants in my 180..Well my fish don't let me keep live plants ....:nono:
I may tray again soon. I use the f specs on many of my grow out tanks[40b] with low light plants and have them dimmed down over 50% to keep algae reasonable..

Back
Top Bottom