need advice on guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boothbrave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought one female and one male guppy for a 10 gallon tank. I have a female betta already there and I'm concerned the female betta will attack her new room-mates. Will this likely happen?

Also do guppies need an oxygen pump or can i get by without?

Thanks in advance!! :)

boothbrave said:
I have a female betta already there and I'm concerned the female betta will attack her new room-mates. Will this likely happen?
never had betta but do not think so. Not sure

boothbrave said:
Also do guppies need an oxygen pump or can i get by without?
No, I have guppies but i do not have a oygen pump

The female betta probably won't damage your guppies...though she might pick on them a bit. You say that you don't have an 'oxygen pump' on the tank...does this mean that you don't have any filtration system? With only three fish in a 10 gallon tank you won't have to worry about aerating the water...there's enough surface area in that tank to easily support three fish...especially since the betta is an anabantoid fish that can use atmospheric oxygen.

I do hope you've got a heater on the tank at least. Bettas and guppies are tropical fish and will do much better at temperatures above normal room temperature. 76-80 degrees Fahrenheit is a good range.

Thanks for the replies.

I do have a filtration system (3 stage aquaclear system) but I don't have a heater. I'll invest in one next.

Anyone know of any informative guppy web sites?

Is there a rule of thumb for keeping guppy males and females? 2 guppy females to every male or is it the other way round?

boothbrave you are right more females than males. The males can be pesky and stress out the females.

I ended up losing both my female guppies to finrot from the males damaging them. But I had a 1:1 ratio. You need 3 females to 1 male, anything less is risky to your poor females. Watch out though! You'll be drowning in guppy fry.

You also definitely need a heater, and a thermometer. Keep between 24-27 degrees Celsius. Bettas do alright in room temp but guppies will not.

AJ said:
Bettas do alright in room temp but guppies will not.
Bettas will do ok at room temperature, but IME they do much better with a heater, around 80-82 degrees F.

boothbrave said:
Anyone know of any informative guppy web sites?
I would like to know too...I did a google search and didn't really find much.

I have 1 male to 3 females, and would probably do well to have another female. Each of them looks unique, the male has a strong preference to one of them, a so-so preference to another, and hardly any preference to the third (although she is pregnant :wink: LOL).

I think I may eventually get another one that looks like the one he likes, to take the stress off the poor girl. Maybe that'll be his Christmas present! :)

watch out for the guppies breeding every 4 weeks.

My guppies breed every 4 weeks. They about killed me when they breed for about two months every 3 weeks. Watch out for them breeding.

Back
Top Bottom