Need advice on scraping and resiliconing my tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradleyheathhays

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got a second hand 125g tank of questionable integrity so I'm going to go ahead and reseal it all before setting it up. Can anyone point me to a general DIY/FAQ kind of thread on resiliconing your tank?

Well, I've gotten a lot of help so far and all of the various information sources tend to agree with each other except on this one point. Some give advice that, considering I'm doing a 125g tank I should take the tank completely apart separating the glass panels and top and bottom plastic frame pieces, remove all the silicone, and then rebuild it from scratch. While other advice is to scrape all silicone from the inside of the tank that I can get to making sure not to let the razor slip between the glass panels to compromise that silicone, and then clean and re silicone the inside.

So which advice should I take? Would it be ok to just do it the simpler way, or is breaking the tank all the way down entirely necessary?

Well, I've gotten a lot of help so far and all of the various information sources tend to agree with each other except on this one point. Some give advice that, considering I'm doing a 125g tank I should take the tank completely apart separating the glass panels and top and bottom plastic frame pieces, remove all the silicone, and then rebuild it from scratch. While other advice is to scrape all silicone from the inside of the tank that I can get to making sure not to let the razor slip between the glass panels to compromise that silicone, and then clean and re silicone the inside.

So which advice should I take? Would it be ok to just do it the simpler way, or is breaking the tank all the way down entirely necessary?
That's a tricky one that not a lot of people would like to answer, me being one!!. There's only one way to know whether you made the wrong choice, you'll have an indoor pool if you did..Sorry i don't know the answer but it's something you will really have to research well..Try posting a tread in the DIY section....That's were all the MacGyver's hang out!!!

Back
Top Bottom