Need advice on stocking 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well....My landlord insisted I get rid of all my tanks but one due to an accidental leak that damaged the floor (see Classifieds)

I decided to keep my one 55 gallon, got rid of my goldfish (tank was overcrowded anyway) and moved all my other fish from the other tanks into it.

This is what I have in there:

1 female sunburst platy
2 female mollies (black and white)
4 bloodfin tetras
3 black skirt tetras
4 guppies- one male, others female
2 gold barbs
1 blue gourami

I know I have room for other fish, but I want to save room for possible fry. I want to add a molly or two (maybe a male and female) and a few platys, and some cory cats. I know I should add a few more black skirts. Or maybe another gourami? Don't really want to add any bloodfins. I don't want to start with too many fish.

I don't intend to actively try and save fry but the tank has a lot of hiding spaces so while most will probably get eaten, some should make it. I do not want to overestimate how many fry I will get, however.

So what is your advice?

BTW for filtration I am running two AquaClear 75 filters, so I think I got that covered. Tank has been running for months so its definitely cycled.

I would suggest atleast 3 more gold barbs. They do better in groups of 5 or more. I've got a group of 5 black skirts so maybe 2 more. I would def. Reccomend going with a nice group of 6 or more corys. They're a blast to watch and their bioload is pretty minimal. Unless you've got a bunch of hiding places id stay away from another gouarmi, but that's just my opinion. I don't know much about mollys or platies so I can't help you there. Post some pics when you can it'd be great to see!

I think that's a good idea about the tetras and I could add a few barbs (local lfs doesn't usually carry them but I could shop around) What do other people think about the gourami?

I want to add some livebearers (I am hoping some of the fry will survive naturally in the tank and want to leave room) but I also want to avoid too much inbreeding.

6 cories? I was thinking more like 3. Do they do better in larger groups? I could add 6. Can I mix albino and brown together?

Cories really thrive in groups so 6 is a good number. I have mixed cories and noticed they sometimes mingle but mostly stay to their own,but I do know others have had some that just all mingle. It wouldn't have any bad effects by getting two dif kinds

Back
Top Bottom