Need advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been waiting on a discus since before Christmas. I saw one in the lfs only to find out it was on hold for someone else. Well Christmas passed and then New years and he was still sitting there waiting for pick up. So I asked again about it and the manager told me I could have him after he called to verify with the other person. He did and called me to tell me the discus is mine. Yay! Well sort of, I went in to get him and the tank he was in had a breakout of culminarus (sp?) So I left him there to get treatment, he pulled through without any physical signs of having it. (can't say the same for the other 12 discus in there) I get another call he's good to come get him. The manager said they moved him to another tank and he was doing great. "Tough as nails" he said. So I jump in the car drive another hour to get him. When I get there this time I see he's back in the same tank with a new batch of discus and now they've all got ich! Now he tells me again he's so sorry and that it'd be easier for him to treat the discus there than for me to take him home and do it. (which I had no intention of to begin with) My question is this, would you be willing after all this to still purchase this fish? I'm torn on a few things. One knowing he's been exposed to all of these infections scares the crap out of me, I don't want to bring anything into my tank. Two how is he going to react to a new environment? Will he be prone to these illnesses now? Or will his immune system (do fish have an immune system) kicked in so he won't be susceptible to them again? What would you do in my shoes??

He must be the achillies of all fish, that thing is a rock! Lol. Ther is no chance i woul buy it.... Zero chance. Thats just me because i have heard what culmnaris does, and its BAD!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
He must be the achillies of all fish, that thing is a rock! Lol. Ther is no chance i woul buy it.... Zero chance. Thats just me because i have heard what culmnaris does, and its BAD!

I know right!? That's why I'm afraid. I've dealt with ich and that was bad enough. But he hasn't shown any signs of either infections, and he's gone through the treatment for one (still going through the ich) and pulled through. It really sucks cause I've been waiting since before Christmas and what do I tell buddy at the shop? No I don't want him now? I've been there every chance I get to check up on him. It was stupid on my behalf I know. To get attached to a fish I don't have in my tank yet.

Yup i know how you feel, but i just think i would be terrible for your whole tank to get infected, all for one fish! And i wouldnt worry about saying no to the owner, im sure he understands. I doubt anyone would want a fish that has gone through all that.Anyways, goodluck with your decision!

You're right.. :-( what if I kept him in qt for a longer period of time? I have a 46 that I kept running empty. Do you know of any fish that have come out of two infections of this kind and done okay?

Well couldnt you get some discus from an online store? Just wondering, and qt would be a very good idea! I dont know of any fish that are that beastly to survive two infections like that, but i dont think ich is very hard to treat, its just a pain! Lol

Yes it's not the ich that scares me so much as the culminarus. I looked into online purchases before I found this one unfortunately the places I found don't ship here and the ones that do will charge me between $35-$75 to do it.

Ya i just looked at your 80 gallon tank pics, and those fish are to awesome to chance getting culmnaris IMO. Maybe wait for the new stock of discus to be cured of ich and then get a few and qt them for a bit?

That's what I'm thinking.. Now the challenge is going to be getting around my husband. I already pushed my luck by just keeping the tank as a qt. He wanted me to sell it once I got the 80gal. Lol! Plus then I'd have to get another tank for a new qt. Oh he's not going to like this not one little bit. Lol!

Mlani said:
That's what I'm thinking.. Now the challenge is going to be getting around my husband. I already pushed my luck by just keeping the tank as a qt. He wanted me to sell it once I got the 80gal. Lol! Plus then I'd have to get another tank for a new qt. Oh he's not going to like this not one little bit. Lol!

Lol good luck with that! That would be a good idea, make it a discus tank ;) maybe a school of tetras or something to go along

I can just tell how the conversation is going to go ..lol! If you don't hear from me for awhile.. Someone please come feed my fish? ;-)

Mlani said:
I can just tell how the conversation is going to go ..lol! If you don't hear from me for awhile.. Someone please come feed my fish? ;-)

Lol gladly! I would live to see that dragon fish eat! Haha tell him he would get to name the fish. It always works with my mom

Lol! If I could figure out how to post videos I'd take one so you could see him! I've had him for years and he still amazes me to watch. I especially love it when he decides to go for a swim across the tank. He just glides it's so awesome! As for the naming I did a big no no and already named him before I got him home. It's trooper what do you think? Pretty fitting right?

Mlani said:
Lol! If I could figure out how to post videos I'd take one so you could see him! I've had him for years and he still amazes me to watch. I especially love it when he decides to go for a swim across the tank. He just glides it's so awesome! As for the naming I did a big no no and already named him before I got him home. It's trooper what do you think? Pretty fitting right?

Hahaha i would love to see it! Probably pretty scary! I love watching my eel eat, very funny. Haha i name all of my fish right when i get them home! Lol, i think trooper is a great name! I try and get creative with my names, my new clownfish always looks grumpy, and the old man from the movie UP is very grumpy so i named the clown Mr. Fredrickson. Lol.

What does the discus look like?? If he super cool lookin?

Lol that's fantastic! I'll see of my kids can show me how to post a video. You'll love his double hinged jaw and if I can get close enough you'll see his teeth. :)

The discus is red blue green and has tiger stripes in black on him. I don't know his proper name sorry. I'm no good with the technical stuff yet. Lol I haven't seen another one like him. He's kind of like the pigeon bloods but he's mostly blue and green with a little red some purple in him too.

As far as your discus goes bring him home put him in qt tank gradually raise temp to 88-89 degrees F. This will rid him of any internal parasites plus speed up any on the outside of him so you can catch it and treat it if need be. Leave him in there for three weeks feed him well keep up water quality and bring temp back to normal discus range 83ish around week two or three again gradually. Once your in the clear acclimate him into your main tank and all is well. You have more patience than I when it comes to that store your going too to get him I'd be ticked if I drove all that way and they put new discus in with him after he was cured the first time such idiots it sounds like. I can't believe they did that wow. I have purchased many discus on aquabid or thru jack w himself, try that route next time if that's the type of fish store your dealing with yikes!

Mlani said:
The discus is red blue green and has tiger stripes in black on him. I don't know his proper name sorry. I'm no good with the technical stuff yet. Lol I haven't seen another one like him. He's kind of like the pigeon bloods but he's mostly blue and green with a little red some purple in him too.

Sounds like a blue turquoise:)

Back
Top Bottom