Need advices for my new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trungnguyen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I am new with the fish aquarium, and I just bought a fish tank 55 gallons (it's just an old one with the stand I got from craiglist. It is still new and good condition). However, the tank does not have the hood with it. I am planning to get some discuses and cherry shrimp, and some real plants for that, but I need some advices about the hood, light, filter, air pump, and heater.
- What size of the filter should I get for my 55 gallons tank? What brand name is good for it? I am looking for the HOB one with quiet, good, and reasonable price ( I am still a student)
- I want to have the hood for the tank, so I can set up some lights and to cover the tank from the cats. Should I get a big and long hood or two small hoods? Because I see the device thing in between of the tank. If I put the hood to cover the tank, is that any problem with the HOB filter? Because I know that I need some space at the top of the tank for the filter.
- What brand name is good for lights? Would you suggest the light bulbs or led ones?
- What air pump is good with quiet and the air pressure control?

If you can, please provide me some links where I can look for the equipments to buy. Thank you so much. I really appreciate that.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 65
Hi there, I am new with the fish aquarium, and I just bought a fish tank 55 gallons (it's just an old one with the stand I got from craiglist. It is still new and good condition). However, the tank does not have the hood with it. I am planning to get some discuses and cherry shrimp, and some real plants for that, but I need some advices about the hood, light, filter, air pump, and heater.
- What size of the filter should I get for my 55 gallons tank? What brand name is good for it? I am looking for the HOB one with quiet, good, and reasonable price ( I am still a student)
- I want to have the hood for the tank, so I can set up some lights and to cover the tank from the cats. Should I get a big and long hood or two small hoods? Because I see the device thing in between of the tank. If I put the hood to cover the tank, is that any problem with the HOB filter? Because I know that I need some space at the top of the tank for the filter.
- What brand name is good for lights? Would you suggest the light bulbs or led ones?
- What air pump is good with quiet and the air pressure control?

If you can, please provide me some links where I can look for the equipments to buy. Thank you so much. I really appreciate that.

1) aquaclear 70 (always good to have more filtration)
2) depends. I have cats. What i did was open up the top, sprinkle some water on them, and now they don't even go near it. Otherwise do two hoods
3) doesn't matter to much but I prefer zoo med. also do flourescent
4) not nessacary with the filter above. As long as you have no dead spots on the surface of the water, you'll be fine.
Good luck and sorry about the grammar I'm on my phone haha

I agree with librarygirl.
If you're doing a single hob go with an AC110. If 2 hob's are an option for you then get the AC70. IMO a single AC70 isn't quite enough for a 55g.

Discus are messy and need pristine water so I would actually recommend a canister filter. I use Fluval 406 canister filters which will also allow for alot of filter media. Also I have 3 large fancy goldfish in each 55 and since they too are messy fish I also run a Wisper EX70 on the 55's along with the cansiter filter.

Another thing, are you going to add live plants that the discus prefer? If so you might want to look into T5HO lighting fixtures.

I too have cats and none of my tanks have lids. We actually held the cats up and lightly dipped their front paws in the water and none of them, even the big jumpers, have looked twice at the tanks.

Thanks everyone for the responses. However, I still have a question about the hood. Since my tank is 55 gallons, and basing on this hood, do I have to get two of it?
Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: Marineland LED Aquarium Hood
Because it says 24" x 12" LED Aquarium Hood Fits:

• 15 gallon, 20 high, 25, 30 Extra High, and 55 aquariums (55 gallon aquariums require 2 24" hoods).
There are two things I am concerning about the tank: hood and filter. I hope I could find the good ones, and the hood will has space on top for the HOB filter.
Thanks

another thing, I am worried about the suction of the filter too since I am going get some cherry shrimps. Is Aquaclear 100 good for cherry Shrimps?

AC110 filters rock when it comes to flow rate so it may be a bit much. There's an adjustment on the intake tube "the whole tube shifts to the right" to slow the flow. Are you committed to having rcs with discus? If so you'll need a heavily planted setup to ensure your shrimp can retreat to safety. I'm not familiar with discus so I don't know how aggressive they would potentially be towards dwarf shrimp.

You can also get a sponge they make for putting over intake strainers. They work great for keeping shrimp from getting sucked in.

Also, if you have never really kept fish before, I have read they are not great fish for begginers. I mean, you could do them, it will just be harder and more expensive.

Thanks guys. Honestly, I had fishes before many years when I was young in Vietnam. And now, I have been in US for 6 years. After everything is settled down. I think now is a good time to start doing one of my favorites again. Before I had oscars, flower heads, aranowa, and discuses. I made some money from them when they gave births too. It was fun, and it was my best childhood memories.

Back
Top Bottom