Need advise on New Bettas Home.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byrdman81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I recently updated my qt tank for my salt water fish from a 3 gal. eclipse tank w/bio wheel filter to a 10 gal. tank with similar filter.

Well while thinking of what to do with my old tank I decided on a new betta, I am wondering besides cleaning the tank very well and placing a new filter in, should I replace the bio wheel or anything else I may not have thought of?

I think he will be very happy in his new tank, since I got him in a cup.
I just wanted to know about how to set up the new tank for him.
Also I asked the guy at the lfs ( didn't have a clue what I was talking about ) about a planted tank for my betta. He said no way should I do this.

What do you guys think? Could a betta do well in a planted tank, not a ton but enough to make the tank come alive.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

ya they love planted tanks i have a female betta in my 10 gallon planted and her colour is beutiful. oh and do u have a light if not better get one.

I thought they might enjoy a nice planted tank. Thats good to hear :D

Also on the light i'm not sure what type of lighting is in the tank , but what ever light that came with it is the one thats in there. It's an Eclipse 3 gal. Tank with bio wheel filter. Don't know the model number right off.

It pretty bright , that kind of made me think of the plants too for the good lighting.

I will make a trip to the lfs and pick up a replacment bio wheel, I wasn't sure on that but thats why I asked. Thanks

They was meant as in Bettas as a whole. I only have the one male betta. He does have a tank mate a Chinese Algae Eater. So in a way I did mean they.

Thanks

I had a male betta in an Eclipse 3 gallon tank. I would also get a new bio-wheel. You can also use a 25-watt heater in this tank. I found the light that came with the tank to be too bright, and it did heat the water up. I had to lower the heater to compensate. The filter was also fast-flowing for a betta -- mine didn't like it. You could try to cut the toe off a new, clean, unwashed pair of pantyhose, and put that over the outflow area. It will diffuse the outflow a little. Another member here, swanandmokashi, has a betta in a 3 gallon Eclipse tank, and I think he modified the filter flow for the betta. If he doesn't pop in here, you could PM him and ask him how he did it.

yeah the flow is definetly too strong, i had my betta in the Eclipse 3 and moved him to a 1 gallon undergravel filter which he loves much more, go to www.bettatalk.com to get some more information on how to mess around with the outflow of the water...GOOD LUCK! :D

I have heard (don't really remember where) that if you break off some of the impeller fins that the water flow won't be as strong. I didn't want to break the filter, even though the betta was very stressed in there. What I ended up doing was removing the bio-wheel assembly (lifting the whole thing out), and just using this tank with a sponge filter as a QT tank. Later on, I got an Eclipse 5 hex tank. I used the bio-wheel that it came with, and tried the pantyhose trick. That worked well in the hex tank and I had a betta in there for awhile that was very happy.

Back
Top Bottom