Need an Algae Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

downtheroad

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright I probably don't NEED one, but I would like to have something to help clean the algae in the tank. I've currently got a planeted 20H with 3 yoyo loaches and 7 pristella tetra. Any suggestions on something to help keep algea under control? I'd almost prefer it to be non-fish if possible. The guy at the fish store could only recommend a rubbernose pleco or something else. I forget what the second one is called. I think it may have started with an 'o' and he said it had high metabolism and so you had watch closely with feeding it.

Sorry, that was kind of a crappy description :p

Anyway, does anybody have ideas for me? Thanks!

The fish that started with an 'o' was probably otocinclus. They are supposed to be very good at eating diatoms and the soft green algae. From what I understand, they have to be eating almost constantly, so once they eat up all of the aglae they need to be fed algae wafers and veggies. I've heard that they will often come from the store in pretty bad shape, so you should expect a higher-than-normal initial mortality, but if they make it through the first month or so they're pretty tough. They also won't damage your plants, so they might be just what you want (even thought they are a fish.)

I must agree a pair of otos will keep your tank very clean. I dont recomend adding any chemicals to your water. Its best to do it as natural as possible.

Nah, I wasn't even considering chemicals.

So with the otocinclus, I'd want to get a vegetable clip as well then? So how does that work? For example, if I notice that the fish is eating the algae faster than it can grow, I'd want to clip in a piece of zuchinni and just leave it or something?

Sounds like it's either going to be easy (clip in a vegie and let him go) or complicated (never know when food is going to run out so I always have to be on my toes). Thoughts?

(and does t annoy anybody else that the spellchecker doesn't know what contractions are :p)

Not having any otos myself, I can't give you any first-hand experience, but dropping in a zucchini or algae wafer when the algae levels get low sounds like a good idea. I think as long as your otos are fat you're doing great. If they start to slim down at all you need to feed more.

TriviallyTravis said:
(and does t annoy anybody else that the spellchecker doesn't know what contractions are :p)

Yes! It's kind of funny to me that that spell checker recognizes "otocinclus," but not "I'm." :lol:

ive had 4 otos for almost a year now and the only advice i can give you about feeding is this....look at its tummy...if its round and full then they are getting enough from your tank...if not drop algae wafers at night when the lights are off...looking at the tummy is easy since they are stuck to the glass most of the time...unless you have a crazy one like mine which schools with the neons so its kind of a hard tummy to look at...HTH :wink:

Hopefully somebody is online to answer this quickly. Are otocinclus fish that I need to buy a few of, or will one of them be okay by itself in my tank? Thanks!

I think the recommended amount is about 4 to 6, but i and also many others seem to have just a pair, and that seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom