Need an extra filter - what should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need an extra filter for my 55 gallon as I just have a fluval U4 internal. I am in the uk, so it needs to he available here. What would be a good extra filter? I ideally wouldn't want a HOB filter, are there any decent alternatives?

Thanks

Could always DIY one. I have both an HOB and a canister on both my 55gal. The opinion on this forum is to go for a fluval but if that doesn't fit your budget I have a marineland that works just fine.

i would recommend a fluval or marineland canister filter,or a trickle filter, if you can afford it.

More is usually better. Do you want another internal filter? If so the larger one says the spray bar is adjustable is if the flow seems too much you should be able to turn it down. If not there are tons of other filters on the market. Some with adjustable flows and some not.

Thanks! My fish budget won't quite stretch to an external filter. Another internal should be fine. These appealed to me because they are cheap, although cheap isn't always better :D

as long as you a) like it b) it works c) fits your budget, than everything is great!

Sorry a bit late with the reply only just seen your thread

If you need to go internal for a secondary filter i would recommend the Eheim biopower, easy to clean etc and unlike the U4 is far more flexible with the media, I have used jewel internals, fluval u4/u2 and the biopower 240 is the best internal I have used.

I would shop around for a new or used canister. I hate taking up space in my aquariums that could be used for plants ;)

HOBs are usually pretty reasonable. Used is ok.
Check for a local Aquarium Society. Best deals are from fellow club members ;)

For an external filter, do you just cut a hole in the fish tank lid for the pipes?

that's one way. Some lids have perforated areas to cut out already and if you have glass tops, a lot of them come with softer plastic sections for the back so you can cut through them easily. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom