Need Betta help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im getting a 75gallon community tank set up and I've never tried a Betta before. They are beautiful and I would like to get one.

Going to for sure have 4 angelfish, 2 loaches, 2 gourami, 2 Rainbowfish, and some Cory cats. Also looking at a Bala shark and African dwarf frog but that is undecided.

Is there certain fish that will NOT mix with bettas? Which bettas are the most compatible for warm (80 degree) aquariums(if at all)?

I'm asking because I have heard stories of bettas being territorial and/or aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Im getting a 75gallon community tank set up and I've never tried a Betta before. They are beautiful and I would like to get one.

Going to for sure have 4 angelfish, 2 loaches, 2 gourami, 2 Rainbowfish, and some Cory cats. Also looking at a Bala shark and African dwarf frog but that is undecided.

Is there certain fish that will NOT mix with bettas? Which bettas are the most compatible for warm (80 degree) aquariums(if at all)?

I'm asking because I have heard stories of bettas being territorial and/or aggressive.

I'm sure other people will jump in to point out other things wrong with this setup, but to start...what kind of loaches? Most if not all like to be kept in groups of 5+. Rainbows are schooling fish as well and like five or more fish. Bala sharks once again are schooling fish and get way too big for your tank. I'm pretty sure the frog would be killed off by the aggressive angels. I'd say research more and redo your stocking. If you want a betta just get a 5 gallon tank for him and house him alone.

In case you haven't heard of it, use AQAdvisor and enter in your tank and filtration and stock list. It'll give you a rough estimate of how stocked you are as well as throw up red flags for fish that need schools, aren't compatible, or will outgrow your tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I know Bala Sharks are schooling but I have seen plenty of people with just one. I could be wrong. I'll definetly look at getting more rainbows thanks for that insight. It will be a Kuhli loach. I have a dojo in another tank that's awesome so I do know some about them. The frog and Betta were just a theory, seeing how I can diversify my tank.

A lot of people don't research before they buy which would explain why they have only one. Yeah, kuhli loaches will need a group of 5+ as well.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Trust me man I've been researching for a while. This tank only has the substrate in it so far. I'm taking my time :)

Just experimenting and seeing my options

I honestly believe it's all in the right introductions. I have a fantastic betta in a 55 gallon with cherry barbs, boesemani rainbows, kubotai and a red tail shark. He thrives! I introduced him last to the tank, that helps a lot. My tank is super peaceful. Betta swims the whole tank and interacts great with the other fish. He plays in the bubbles and has lots of hiding places! I would suggest having lots of plants (live if possible) and driftwood and rocks. Make caves!

The only thing I would suggest is the gouramis... Because they are from the same family, (distant cousins or something lol) your betta will likely pick fights with them. And vice versa.

Okay thanks for the info I really want the gourami's though. I could get a fishbowl and just "see" how they react and if they start to fight I'll remove the Betta.

I mean to keep the Betta in if things don't work out

I would suggest to pick one and stick to just having one of the two. Because you are undoubtedly causing stress, when there doesn't need to be. there is enough evidence to show these two fish will not get along. And to be perfectly honest the gouramis will probably be the more aggressive of the two. Dwarf gouramis are a bit more peaceful I believe. They are both territorial fish. And a fish bowl for the betta is just not fair! He needs a heater for sure. A fish bowl for any fish is not fair in my opinion. It could possibly work out if the tank was large enough and they had territories on either side. I'm not sure... This is just what i know, and what I've been told!

Thank you, I, just like many many many others, no little about actually caring for bettas. You always see them in small cups or bowls and it is deceiving.

I believe the theory came from someone seeing that they are often found in tiny rice puddles! As they can survive for a while in a small habitat, it was not their goal. They jump from puddle to puddle to bigger streams of water. Or sometimes they might get stuck somewhere tiny for a while until a rain happens and their water levels are higher to get to their larger water source :) they do end up in small places in the wild, but it's always to get to somewhere bigger! Not sure why the idea is still that they should be sold in tiny containers. Probably because they can't keep them like community fish in their 10 gallon seller tanks. Best thing to do is buy one and give them a big beautiful home!

Back
Top Bottom