Need compatibility check for fiddler crabs. . . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaggyd714

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi - I currently have a 55 gal. African Cichlid tank running. i'm getting ready to set up a 10 gal. cold water aquarium for the first time, and have no experience with some of the animals I would like to keep. So far I've selected to add:

Assorted Danios (not sure on quantity yet, but want to have "school" of them)

Bristlenose Pleco Catfish

Fiddler Crab (1 - 1.5 inch max. grow size)

Wondering if any of these would be OK in tank with the crab:

Ghost Shrimp
Snails
Dwarf Crayfish

I know I could keep up to 2 Fiddler Crabs, but I'm wondering if I could keep 1 Fiddler Crab, and 1 Dwarf Crayfish, or would they immediately try to kill one another?

Also, will the ghost shrimp inhabit mainly the bottom, or will they cling to plants?

If they cling to plants, will I need to have live plants instead of fake plants?

I'm thinking that the ghost shrimp would not be fast enough to get away from the crabs/crayfish, so should I not include ghost shrimp in the aquarium, or just not worry about if they get eaten or not? (I'm assuming ghost shrimp are fairly inexpensive)

Thanks in advance - shaggyd :)

I don't know how many danios you're planning to add for a school, but I think you're plan has too many fish for a 10 gallon tank.

Even if you only got 3 danios, the bristlenose will get 4-5 inches. You might want to think about otos instead. The danios are probably fast enough to stay away from the crab, but the crab needs access to dry land to stay healthy.

I suspect the crab would eat the shrimp. Snails would probably be okay, but I think mixing the crab and the crayfish might be a bad idea.

My ghosts like to sit on my plants, doesn't matter if they are real or not. I think that the shrimp could outrun the crab, but perhaps not. They are only like $.25 a pop so try out a couple.

Every crab has its own personality..

However in my experiance I have never once had any of my crabs kill shrimp or snails.

I would not put them with a crawfish however cause the most crayfish get larger then the crabs and I've seem them kill and eat crabs before.

You should choose one or the other, not both.

and the tank is going to be cold water? Nothing you listed would be very happy in cold water I don't believe.

Back
Top Bottom