Need filter / heater advice for a proposed Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradleyheathhays

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm trying to set up my first tank and I'm planning for it to be a 125 gal some kind of Cichlid tank, and I'm needing to outfit myself with everything I need to make the tank run. I've read advice that the equipment used should be based on what type of fish are being cared for, so knowing relatively nothing about what I'm jumping into, at this point I need to defer to you guys for some good equipment advice.

Right now I'm interested in purchasing both filter and heat equipment. I've researched that it's possible to get a unit that does both so I'll probably go this route as long as these units aren't priced too way out there. What I know so far is that I need to filter my water somewhere between 4 and 8 times an hour, and that I'll probably need the equivalent of 2 300 watt heaters to get everything up to the proper temp.

The tank will be on a stand with a false back so a system located under the tank with lines leading up would seem to work well. If it makes any difference in the advice I'll probably try to combine some plants in there sometime as well.

So, if you have any advice on specifically what brand / model / size of these units I should be looking to purchase I'm all ears. Thanks.

What kind of Ciclids? Some don't do well with plants. I have always gone with the 2 heater method. Put one on each end of the tank that is half the wattage you need. That way together they will heat your tank properly but if one fails or gets stuck on you won't cook your fish. Also helps to keep temperature even by having one on each side. I just bought an Aquatop brand but I also like Hydor. I don't know much about canister filters or filters with heaters. Good Luck!

Well, after looking over lot of product reviews it seems like the Eheim brand, at least over time, is the only one to buy. I didn't find a combined heater filter system made by these guys so I'll probably just go with 2 regular hanging heaters. The idea I heard expressed most often concerning the Eheim filter systems is that although they can be quite a bit more expensive they tend to hold up over time much better than the other highly rated canister filters. So I'm looking at getting 2 Eheim Pro 3E Model 2078 filters each doing 490 gph. Sound about right?

Actually so far I'd also consider the Fluval FX5.

Any alternative suggestions to these two?

Eheim Pro3e series is horribly over priced in comparison to the FX5 from what I recall.

Personally find the Eheim series much more reliable and easier to clean than my FX5, but not by enough to warrant the price difference (Especially including the cost of Eheim media).

Back
Top Bottom