Need filter suggestions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamiecake

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a .5 gallon tank for one crowntail Betta fish. I use dechlorinated tap water. There's a plastic plant, a live plant bulb waiting to sprout, a small dragon statue from Petco, gravel, a small aquatic snail shell and a small plastic Poliwag I found while cleaning my closet the other day. I feed my Betta freezedried bloodworms once a day, and there's no filter. The problem is that the water gets cloudy, and an oily film develops on the surface of the water. I've been told I need a filter, but I can't find a .5 gallon filter. I was wondering if you guys could help, since I'm not sure if something like a 1 or 2 gallon filter would be too strong...

You don't "NEED" a filter and it probably isn't a good idea to have one in a tank that small in my opinion. You should be changing 1/2 of the water every 3rd day or so. I'd try to change it every day if I were you. I understand that some days this just isn't possible but I'd make it a goal to change that much.

What you could do is get some java moss, java fern, or guppy grass. Either one of those will do well with little light hitting the tank and it will help to remove nitrates from the water, which come from uneaten food, nitrite being converted to nitrate, and decaying plants and breakdown of feces. This won't help to move larger "clumps" right away, but it will allow you to not have to change the water as often.

The purposes of the filter are mechanical filtration (removing excrement and debris in the water like uneaten food, decaying plants) and biological filtration (providing bacteria a medium on which to grow in order to convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate). Doing water changes will eliminate your need for any filtration and will increase the health of your fish.

The film you are seeing is probably an oil from the freeze dried bloodworms and your fingers as well.

That's actually usually how often I change the water completely ^^; I'll try that, and if that doesn't work I'll see if the pet store has any of those plants.

I'd love to get him a bigger tank, but I really don't have that kind of money. Sixteen and jobless with a five dollar a week allowance doesn't give me much wiggle room for buying stuff. I am, however, looking at local vet clinics for a job... Fingers crossed.

Thanks ♥

Go to garage sales & check craigs lists & so forth. Lots of people get small tanks & put in inappropriate fish (like goldfish) only to be discouraged when the fish dies. So it is very common to see 2-5 gal tanks at garage sales for a buck or 2. I have seen some almost new units being given away for free .... If you check around, you might get lucky!

He really needs a bigger tank to be happy and healthy. :( I personally would not keep a betta in anything smaller than a 5-gallon, and I prefer at least a 10.

You can get a 10g tank at Petsmart for $10 or so. Being in TX you probably wouldn't have to get a heater for some time and a filter really isn't necessary as I already said. It would be nice to have an airstone in the tank to provide oxygenation and so the tank doesn't start to smell like a swamp.

Alright. I'll see if I can get him a new tank. Thanks again.

EDIT- Found a six gallon tank, just ordered it.

Back
Top Bottom