Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Need help!

My tank recently finished cycling. I planned on getting fish later tonight. I preformed a water change and tested. The nitrates are still between 40-80. I used city water from my dad shop. We have well water here but the only temp matched water I can get has been treated with a water softener that we put that special salt in to take the iron out. Can that be used in the tanks? I have been afraid to use it because of that. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfishlover View Post
My tank recently finished cycling. I planned on getting fish later tonight. I preformed a water change and tested. The nitrates are still between 40-80. I used city water from my dad shop. We have well water here but the only temp matched water I can get has been treated with a water softener that we put that special salt in to take the iron out. Can that be used in the tanks? I have been afraid to use it because of that. Thanks for the help!
What do you mean by temp matched water?

Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Temperature matched. The only pure well water is out of the hose and it's below freezing. The water the comes out of the sink is treated through a softener. And I just tested the sink water. It's 0s for ammonia nitrites and nitrates and ph is 7.6. Is it ok to use?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfishlover View Post
Temperature matched. The only pure well water is out of the hose and it's below freezing. The water the comes out of the sink is treated through a softener. And I just tested the sink water. It's 0s for ammonia nitrites and nitrates and ph is 7.6. Is it ok to use?
Not exactly sure what a softener is or does to the water, but Lots of people use tap water with no problems. Just make sure to use Prime. It removes a lot more bad stuff in tap water than other dechlorinators.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok. I think I will try it. I searched this question on yahoo and I most of the stiff the popped up said I could. Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfishlover
Ok. I think I will try it. I searched this question on yahoo and I most of the stiff the popped up said I could. Thanks
Good luck!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you mean nitrates between 40-80
Nitrates that are that high will kill all fish (nitrates should always be kept under 20ppm)
Old 01-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

There wasn't fish in there yet. I was changing water after a fishless cycle. I did another large pwc.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry about the confusion
Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The salt in the softener is only used to to create the brine that cleans the resin beads off during the softeners recharging period in the middle of the night. The rest of the time the salt just sits in the softener. (If it was always in the water, you would taste salt every time you got a drink.) 'Softened' well water is perfectly fine to use as long as you use a conditioner to make sure any trace elements are taken care of.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com