Need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyGal1324

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so my grandma has "stolen" my fish while I am away at college. I came back to visit and they are now even huger(not a word Ik). I am wanting info on an upgrade tank that would be easy for her to take care of while I'm gone. I won't be home till summer now and can't help her with it. They are in a 20 gallon now what can I move them into that she can still manage she's 80.

Attachments

• 1419992190694.jpg
    1419992190694.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 108
How is she doing the water changes? That's the only thing that would be more demanding really unless she's okay using a water changer like the Aqueon or python, she'd just need to unscrew the aerator and screw in the water changer. Maybe a 40 gallon long or 55 gallon.

The Aqueon has an easier way to switch between siphoning and refilling the tank. It's just a little valve you turn 90 degrees, the python requires you to screw the bottom piece up and mine is constantly putting up a fight.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

She has someone change water by dumping water to and from the tank into and out of a 5g bucket. I will investigate both of those but I will probably go with the aqueon it seems like something she'd be more likely to use. Thank you!

When does the sale end I live 5hrs from a Petco and I'd need to talk people into going

I would definitely look into a python or aqueon water changer - they are super easy and you don't have to do the lifting.

And if you switch to that you don't have to worry about going too big?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd aim for the 40 gallon long over the 55. It gives you 4 feet length, 1 foot wide, and only 16 inches deep as opposed to 21" which would make it easier to reach the bottom without having to climb halfway in.

Nigel brings up a good point with a 40 breeder. It would probably be a good choice in that situation

I'd aim for the 40 gallon long over the 55. It gives you 4 feet length, 1 foot wide, and only 16 inches deep as opposed to 21" which would make it easier to reach the bottom without having to climb halfway in.

Lol - that's the trouble with mine at 36". Sometimes I have my nose almost touching the water (I've learnt not to have it actually touch the water :) ).

Lol - that's the trouble with mine at 36". Sometimes I have my nose almost touching the water (I've learnt not to have it actually touch the water :) ).

I hear you mines 2ft deep I have to do a 50% water change weekly just so I can get my arms in and move ornaments and plants about.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Before I got the water changer I had a hard time filing my 55. The stand is medium/high and I am kinda short so lifting the buckets and dumping the new in without disrupting everything was hard. I always made my husband do the filling part

lol I can just imagine you guys trying to change the water in my hexagon or pentagon then... if you have trouble with a 21 inch 55g that's only like 13 inches deep.. Try my pentagon that's 25 inches tall and 25 inches deep (deep meaning front to back) Im 6 foot and I can easily reach the bottom on my 25 inch tall hex and pentagon but the pentagon I cant reach the back bottom.. need a chair for that

lol I can just imagine you guys trying to change the water in my hexagon or pentagon then... if you have trouble with a 21 inch 55g that's only like 13 inches deep.. Try my pentagon that's 25 inches tall and 25 inches deep (deep meaning front to back) Im 6 foot and I can easily reach the bottom on my 25 inch tall hex and pentagon but the pentagon I cant reach the back bottom.. need a chair for that

Haha right? My tank is 28" tall and sits on a 28" stand. Luckily I'm a giant so I can reach the bottom without assistance, but I do have to roll my sleeves all the way up.

Back
Top Bottom