need help asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cogburn

Aquarium Advice Freak
we were just about to put the background on my new tank when we realized we dont have VEGETABLE oil we have CANOLA oil... will that work or should i not try it? isnt it basically the same thing?... HELLLLP!!!

thanks in advance

Larry :cool:

hahaha... i didnt wait... i used it... it worked great... i googled it and read a couple of places that said canola would work the same as veggie... the background is on and all is well thanks for the response

The point is you want an oil that.
1. is food grade so it doesn't poison the tank if any gets in.
2. is liquid at room temp.
Peanut oil, sesamie seed oil, extra virgin olive oil, ect... will all work.

you can use oil to apply the plastic backgrounds you get at an LFS. The oil causes the background to adhere to the back of the tank, and using a straight edge, like a credit card, you can work all of the air bubbles out, and get the background on making it look as good as paint.

REALLY!!! I have to get a background for my tank... now i know how to put it on :D thanks

hmm, think I might have to do that to my 30G. Background has never been very even on it.

btw, most 'vegetable' oil nowadays is soybean oil. Not that different from canola, canola might be a bit lighter weight. Shouldn't matter.

Edit: just tried it, with some spray canola oil. Not bad, but tough to get the last little bubbles out. Good enough for me though!

Back
Top Bottom