Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need help cycling 25 gal

I have a 25 gallon 32" long tank that I've been "cycling" with a betta! I've had the betta in for 5 days and before I added him in, I put some like filter Bacteria boost in! I had the betta in a previous tank for 2 months with a fairly strong filter which was on lowest flow! The first 24 hours before I put my fish in (billy) I used my old filter as well as a new one I got with the tank! So it's been five days with the betta in and he is tiny compared to the whole tank so I want to add more fish! Could i add 3 platys and 4 endlers? Btw the tank that I had before was 4 gal and I used the water from that to partly fill up the tank! If I can't put those fish in, what fish can I put in before I add like a shoal of neons in a month? And also should I use the previous filter even though I haven't used it for 5 days?
Thanks!

Old 11-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I'd give it another 5-8 days unless you can test the water. If the old filter has bee dried out for five days it is like toast from a bacteria stand point. Aged water doesn't do much for you cycling wise, objects like rocks plants and such from an established tank will help a lot.

When you get fish, start with the Endlers, wait a few days and add the platys. Give them a full month and 50% water changes weekly before adding the tetras.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com