Need help deciding stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Megalofyia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really like the dwarf flame gouramis and I'd like two.

I was thinking about putting them in the tank with the glass catfish (3) but don't know how well they would get along. Plus it's a 10 gallon tank.

The other option is in the 20 gallon long tank. . . I have a friend who wants my chinse algae eater so he's out of the picture and the eel is going to a bigger tank shortly. So... that leaves 3 buenes aires tetras, 4 tigar barbs and a blue lobster. Does anyone know if the dwarf flame gourami would have issue with those fish?

both tanks have really good filtration and water changes regularly.

Hi Megalofyia,

I have never kept a Dwarf Flame Gourami but I have 9 Tiger Barbs.
But knowing my Barbs, they would constantly chase and nip at the DFG's fins.
The Buenes Aires Tetras would be fine.

The buenes aires tetras would be fine with the DFG? or with the tiger barbs? I already have the tiger barbs with the buenes aires tetras.

The tetras and barbs should be ok with the dwarf gouramis, but the dwarf gouramis may not be ok with each other LOL They can get pretty territorial, and have been known to beat the hell out of each other. It doesn't always happen, but be warned you may wind up having to separate em. Since they don't have long fins, the barbs nipping shouldn't be an issue.

ooooh.. I thought they liked pairs.. because it would ACTUALLY be more convinient for me to get a single one.

What about the blue lobster and the DFG?

And out of curiousity what IS the compatibility with glass catfish? would it be nice to the glass cats?

A girl who works at a LFS said the people who provide them with the Gouramis always recommend keeping them in pairs, but that based on her own experience it's better to keep either just one Gourami in a tank, or one male Gourami with more than one females. I've been thinking of getting some kind of a Gourami at some point, and probably only one to start with, to see how it goes.

I think your 10 gal will get a bit overcrowded, i would go for the bigger tank.If you can get a male and female gourami they would be fine, but i wouldn't get two males. I don't think you would have an issue with your choice of fish as long as you give them the room.

Good luck finding a pair of DFGs. I wanted a pair but was told at my lfs that only males are shipped. The reason being that the females are quite bland so people will pick the males out leaving the lfs with a tank of fish that can't be sold. Anyone else hear that?

Brian

I would be cautious of the Tiger Barbs and the Dwarf Gouramis...

How has your Blue Lobster gotten along with the other fish? I want to house a lobster with a puffer and a columbian shark...

so far my blue lobster has been fine with the fish that I have. How fast are the puffer and columbian shark? I don't know about either of these two fish.

I have had horrible luck with blue lobsters (eating all of the fish and intimidating the ones too big to be eaten) but that is just me. I would love to get a pair of DG but like BrianNY they sell only males, and I have heard that the females do not sell so they cull them 8O. Same thing for female betts. I think you could do one male DG and the glass cats, and that would be cool, and actually a very interesting tank!

I am leaning towards the glass cats with the DFG. Espeically now that I know they can and are more comfortable being kept single and not in male pairs.

Thanks for your advice! :D

Female bettas, I guess, are easier to come by than female DG. I've at least seen female bettas for sale.

Back
Top Bottom