Need help diagnosing an aquarium disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I went on vacation for a week and had our babysitter feed our cats and fish. I came home this afternoon to find the substrate and wood of my 20 gallon high covered in this light brown material. See the attached pics. I've never seen anything like this before. It looks like it came from the top of the tank, as it's on the top of the wood, top of the substrate that isn't covered by wood, top of my Java Fern, top of my sponge filter, etc. The only place where it isn't located is in the back underneath my heater and HOB filter. One cory is dead, two are alive, and I'm not sure about the rest. I'm currently at pH 7.0-7.2, my ammonia is currently ~0.25 ppm, nitrite is 0 ppm, and nitrate is very low (maybe 2 ppm). I just did a 30% WC, overdosing with Prime, will do another tonight, and some more throughout the day tomorrow until I get most of this junk cleaned up.

The tank is a little over two months old. It was cycled for five weeks, to the point where it could process 3-4 ppm ammonia in 24 hours. I've had a shoal of six young Three-lined Corys in there since late June. Tank temp is 77 F, weekly 30% WCs, never had any post-cycling ammonia/nitrite, nitrate is always < 5 ppm. Tank has a AquaClear 30 filter and a sponge filter. The substrate is black sand, about 2-3.5" deep. I have two pieces of bogwood and a piece of "Amano wood" (I think that's what it is... it's twisty and has to be weighed down in place by the bogwood). Plants are Java Fern (rhizomes anchored with plant anchors) and some floating Hornwort. I typically feed small pinches of NLS Small Fish Pellets twice a day and, in its place, frozen bloodworms twice a week. Last WC was 7 days ago.

Any ideas what this is? I don't think that my house-sitter way overdosed the NLS pellets, as there's too much left in the container and it would take almost the entire container to do this. My wife called her earlier this evening and she claims to have not noticed anything on her last visit (yesterday). We've known her for a while and she's been very trustworthy.

My only guess is that the growth could've come from the Amano wood, which has had some sort of fungus growing on it for a while. Could anaerobic bacteria from the fine sand have played a role? I realize that this can happen but, as I mentioned earlier, it's less than 4" deep at its deepest. I did have the shade on the window up while we were gone, but the tank is on the south side of the window and I don't believe that it gets any appreciable direct sunlight. As I was siphoning up some of this gunk earlier this evening, I noticed that it was sticking together with some sort of stringy, fungus-like material.

Anyway, I'm totally confused and would really appreciate any help.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 162
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 153
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 142
Wow... My guess would be that the affected wood caused some sort of bloom. Ive not seen anything quite like that before, but thats not sayin much. Lol. Sounds like your doing the right things though. Keep us posted. Im very curious abt this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Does it look Gelatinous? If somehow a lot of carbon got into the water then bacteria can form strange looking masses. I sometimes saw weird bacterial masses when experimenting with carbon dosing. I have never seen this. it almost does look like someone dumped something in there. I would try to take it out and see if it comes back. What does it feel like? Solid like a pellet or more like a cobweb or bio film?

I'm almost afraid to touch the stuff, but my guess is that it's soft because it'll float around in the water and there appears to be a film around it. The pics that I posted don't really show this, but the solid material has clouded the water. And I have no charcoal in the tank or filtration system.

My two (known) surviving corys are breathing hard right now and don't look good.

Get em out... Spare tank, big glass jar, tuperware, bin. If not my guess is youll lose them. Does it seem fungal at all? Im glad you brought the masses up jarrod. Ive heard tale of this but never seen it. Now im really curious.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

PoppaRyno is right you need to get them out. Something has spilled into the tank. You need to talk to the tank sitter. What ever it is has become food for bacteria and they are eating like crazy. That is what the weird fungus looking slime is. Bacteria do that when overdosed with carbon. They are probably using up all the oxygen which is making your fish breath heavy. It could be that what ever it is is dissolving slowly and hurting them too. Most likely scenario because we have to guess based on pics and a lot of best guess scenarios. At any rate, your fish will most likely recover just fine.

They do look a lot like decomposing pellets to me. Could the house sitter have been feeding from a different tub? Perhaps she knocked them in and replaced the old tub with a new one and emptied some out?

Sorry to bash the house sitter but I'm looking for the most logical explanations here. The sticky stuff is probably just Bacterial biofilms I'm guessing at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They do look a lot like decomposing pellets to me. Could the house sitter have been feeding from a different tub? Perhaps she knocked them in and replaced the old tub with a new one and emptied some out?

Sorry to bash the house sitter but I'm looking for the most logical explanations here. The sticky stuff is probably just Bacterial biofilms I'm guessing at this point.

My guess too. Just looks like excess fish food now rotting away

99% sure that is food!
Just vacuum it out and watch parameters.

Yeah, that may be true. Then again, there isn't enough missing from the container to account for everything I'm seeing in the tank (even with the expansion upon hydration). Then again, I have a difficult time believing that everything was fine as of Monday, but the tank was completely f'ed up Tuesday afternoon. The substance is light enough to float, but is sort of strung together, so it's difficult to siphon up (not much of it was in my HOB filter). The corys are occasionally picking at it, so at least some of it is probably food.

I did two 30% WCs last night and overdosed with about half a capfull of Prime. Would've liked to do more, but I had just flown 3,000 miles, driven two hours (both with a screaming baby on both the plane and in the car), and was on five hours of sleep. This morning, I had to euthanize another cory, but four of them are still alive. Did a 50% WC this morning and removed all of the plants and wood. Will do another 50% WC later this morning and will siphon up what I can in the process. I'm throwing out the Amano wood and am going to boil the bogwood before putting it back in.

Thanks all for your input. I'll keep you posted.

Agree with the others that say food. It is 100% food. When I go away I put food in zip lock bags for each day. A a little food to one person isn't the same measurement to another.

The food expands allot and gets fuzzy that is why it looks like a whole box of food but may only be a quarter of a box.

Yep, I should've definitely been more explicit in my instructions, though I did demonstrate a feeding for her. My SA community tank, including GBRs and Cardinals, is fine, though I instructed her to feed flakes and that tank has far more fish.

What's throwing me at this point is the consistency of this material. It's flat and elongated, whereas I would expect decomposing pellets to be more compact.

And it's an absolute pain in the butt to clean up, as the sand I'm using is very fine and it's tough to siphon up the detritus without a bunch of sand getting caught in there and everything falling back out. I may end up just scooping it out with a glass or something.

Did another 50% WC and placed a sterilized piece of bogwood against the back of the tank for the poor cories to hide behind (though some of them are still at the front of the tank). The good news is that their gills are not pumping hard like last night. I added some charcoal to the filter and am going to let it run until the evening. Not sure if it'll clear up the cloudiness. We'll see.

Next time, just leave them alone and hide the food. A week isn't terribly long for fish to go without food, and people who don't keep fish usually don't understand how little they need.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

LOL! Siphon that thing out !!!!

Make great waterchanges to reduce water nutrients levels, and give space for O2 molecule penetrate the water, so your fishes'll breath better...

Next time, just leave them alone and hide the food. A week isn't terribly long for fish to go without food, and people who don't keep fish usually don't understand how little they need.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep, that's exactly what I should've done. Then again, I would think that somebody who is in her early 20's would know that when a ton of uneaten fish food is sitting on the substrate and wood, it's time to stop feeding. Or at least give me a call and ask what to do. To add insult to injury, my wife called her on Tuesday evening and asked if she noticed anything wrong with the tank. She replied no. I have a very difficult time believing that everything was just fine on Monday and something magically happened 24 hours later. I can forgive mistakes, but I can't forgive lying.

Just did another 30% WC and double-dosed my tank with Prime because the nitrogenous waste is picking up:

Ammonia: 0.5 ppm
Nitrite: ~0.05 ppm
Nitrate: ~2 ppm

I'm a little concerned about these parameters. When the tank was completely cycled five weeks ago, it could completely process 3 ppm ammonia into nitrate in 24 hours. Even if my BB colony has been overloaded by the ammonia from this food, shouldn't I have a higher nitrate level? Is it possible that the excess fish food could kill some of my BB colony? (My guess is that it'd do the opposite, but maybe there's something that I'm unaware of.) Or perhaps the low bioload of my six corys starved and lowered the level of BB in my tank?

Shake your nitrate bottle #2 like hell...

Or if it's a 3 bottle test, then shake bottle #3 instead #2...

There's a chemical reagent wich tend to crystalize at the bottom of the bottle, so bang it and shake if VERY VERY strong !

Maybe your readings will differ...

Shake your nitrate bottle #2 like hell...

Or if it's a 3 bottle test, then shake bottle #3 instead #2...

There's a chemical reagent wich tend to crystalize at the bottom of the bottle, so bang it and shake if VERY VERY strong !

Maybe your readings will differ...

Yeah, I'm aware of that, and the kit is about a year old. So perhaps the accuracy is a little lower at this point. Good call.

When I went away and had someone feeding my tanks I used a pill box from the pharmacy for my weeks worth of food, this way all they had to do was open whatever day of the week it was and dump it in , also I could change the diet during the week as I normally would do. Some pharmacies will give you the pill box for free if you ask. Worked great for me

Back
Top Bottom