Need help finding fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone suggested GBR? Stunning! I keep three currently.
Also, while on the subject, would rummynose be big enough to safely keep with angels?

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I've kept plecos all my life I have a panther pleco who if in superb conditions won't get any bigger than 3.5inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

German Blue Rams
Here's my female-

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Wow! That's gorgeous! How big do they get? I think I've pretty much decided not to get angels at all. Not a big fan of them and I want fish I LOVE as my center piece fish.

Just want to mention thanks for the help and Happy Thanksgiving!

And my male-

Sorry about the blur

(The second female won't pose lol)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Wow! That's gorgeous! How big do they get? I think I've pretty much decided not to get angels at all. Not a big fan of them and I want fish I LOVE as my center piece fish.

Just want to mention thanks for the help and Happy Thanksgiving!

They get to about 2.5 inches, maybe 3 but they are very personable and peaceful. They come up to greet me and have been trained to hit a pipette with their nose to be fed.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I love them! Wish they were bigger though. However, how many can you have? Just a pair. Also, if I do that do they have to be male and female to be peaceful?

I keep three and have had no trouble. It's recommended to have a pair per 20 gal, or you could do a group of females. So either 3 pairs with a lot of plants (they may not even pair up) or a group of 6-8 females would most likely work if you got them small and gave each space for a territory.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I've kept plecos all my life I have a panther pleco who if in superb conditions won't get any bigger than 3.5inches.

My favourite family of fish by a mile, I've almost always had one or more.

It's good you have a smaller sized fish, I made the beginners classic error of not checking out adult size, by which point I had two big plecs! Hypostomus and gibbiceps. I did the right thing by the fish and put them in a big tank.

I let them go when I moved, one went private the other back to a store. Both gratis to satisfied new owners with proper sized tanks. The shop one was taken by staff I think, at least one chap was very interested in taking it home.

Gutted I miss them.

Those cichlids are colourful! I had a pair but it didn't work out too good, it was my first experience with these fish and one was zoomed? by the other. The second I killed in an accident.
When I'm feeling brave I may try them again as they are quite stunning.

If I order them online which I assume I will I don't think I'll have the option of choosing "all female" or "pairs." That's why I'd like about 4/5?

Just so you know, rams can be fairly difficult to keep, they need pristine conditions. Also they have been inbred, so a lot of them don't last very long. I think a lot of people recommend yunite as their source.
Also, I would recommend getting more plants/rocks/wood to make the fish more secure.

I am in the middle of growing a lot of plants in my 20 gallon. Once big enough switching them over then selling my original tank. So what do you suggest? If you advise against rams.

Just so you know, rams can be fairly difficult to keep, they need pristine conditions. Also they have been inbred, so a lot of them don't last very long. I think a lot of people recommend yunite as their source.
Also, I would recommend getting more plants/rocks/wood to make the fish more secure.

Mine have been through two bouts of ich in the last 2 months and a few ammonia spikes- the whole sensitive thing is very overblown. Mine are from Petsmart.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

If you grow out 4-5, you should end up with pairs and a few extras hopefully. Females have a pink belly, males have a longer dorsal extension.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I am in the middle of growing a lot of plants in my 20 gallon. Once big enough switching them over then selling my original tank. So what do you suggest? If you advise against rams.

GBRs are fine fish *if* you get them from a good supplier and can keep your nitrates down near 10 ppm. If you're looking for an easier dwarf cichlid, Bolivian Rams and Cockatoo Apistos are both hardier.

I think a lot of people recommend yunite as their source.

Thanks for posting that. I'm in the market right now.

Angels are my favorite so I am biased. One Koi angel fish or 2 bought as juvies will grow up nice in that tank and sometimes if they grow up with the tetras around them, they will not view them as food since they grew up with them.

Will the extras be aggressive? I looked in on that supplier and I can get group pairs or 5 males idk if havin 5 males will make them aggressive to each other?

They wont be aggressive when young but all males will as they mature. Males do not do well with each other but all females would. Usually when you purchase a group of 6 or so, 2 will pair off and get aggressive towards the others......especially if they are spawning. That is why most people keep the 1 pair or settle on all females or just one single male.

This is especially a problem if one is smaller or weaker than the group. I am having that issue right now. I got 3 angels and 2 seemed to have paired and the male picked on the 3rd one who was small. I had to move him to my home tank from the work tank, and he still isnt eating after 3 days. I am worried as I hate when any fish die. I am hoping he will relax and start eating again and soon.

I am not entirely sure if an all male tank would pose a problem or if its something people do on the regular. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on that and give you some better advice. I only have heard of all females or 1 male and a few females.

Back
Top Bottom