Need help from more experienced tankers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucas82

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all. Thanks in advance to all who respond. I just started a 45 gallon African Cichlid tank with 1 OB, 1 Bumblebee, 1 Zebra Albino (meanest and most dominate), 1 Sunshine, 1 Rubin Red, 1 Electric Blue, 2 regular Blue Malawi, 2 Yellow Malawi, and two smaller orange Malawi, also one Plecostomus, and one spotted catfish (think it is a Cory). This tank is doing ok but agression is really getting high. I have plenty of hiding spots and rock but I think the tank isn't long enough so I'm going with a 55 gallon and I'm going to switch my 45 gallon to Rainbow fish. Questions are:

1. do I have the right combo of cichlid species to co-exist or will I eventually have to remove the more aggresive ones and add less aggressive varieties?

2. Are 8 Rainbows (4 Boesemani and 4 Yellow Rainbows) too much or not enough for my 45 gallon tank?

3. how long till the chemical levels are right for changing the cichlids to the 55 and letting the 45 get adjusted to a new environment? (like changing from rocks over to plants and driftwood)

1. Africans are super aggressive at times others are shy.. I think you should be ok. The key to Cichlids is over stocking. Don't go crazy but over stocking helps with aggression. Just make sure you have the proper filtration. On my 55 G Cichlid tank I have a 75 G filter. And do maintenance once a month. Hiding spots r key. Also keep the water temp some what low which helps the aggression level as well..

2. Not to familiar with rainbows, only have a few just stick with 1 inch of fish per gallon...

3. I recently transferred my cichlids from a 30 G to a 55 G and took the gravel, filter media, decor and plants and put em in the 55 G. No need to cycle the 55 G. Just cycle the old 40 G by borrowing some gravel and a filter cartridge from another established tank.

Hope this helped

Thanks for your advice DjBootleg. I have 12 total cichlids and the two other fish. Will this be sufficient overstocking for a 55 gallon? And just to be clear your talking about transferring all the water out of the 45 and adding an additional treated 10 gallons to the 55 and everything should be ok (along with the filter and decor?)

Thanks for your advice DjBootleg. I have 12 total cichlids and the two other fish. Will this be sufficient overstocking for a 55 gallon? And just to be clear your talking about transferring all the water out of the 45 and adding an additional treated 10 gallons to the 55 and everything should be ok (along with the filter and decor?)

I wouldn't worry about taking the water. Unless that's more convenient for you. I actually did take the water along but it's not a must. And yes the filter media and all the decor.

An for the overstocking how big/old are they? Roughly about how many inches?

Hello all. Thanks in advance to all who respond. I just started a 45 gallon African Cichlid tank with 1 OB, 1 Bumblebee, 1 Zebra Albino (meanest and most dominate), 1 Sunshine, 1 Rubin Red, 1 Electric Blue, 2 regular Blue Malawi, 2 Yellow Malawi, and two smaller orange Malawi, also one Plecostomus, and one spotted catfish (think it is a Cory). This tank is doing ok but agression is really getting high. I have plenty of hiding spots and rock but I think the tank isn't long enough so I'm going with a 55 gallon and I'm going to switch my 45 gallon to Rainbow fish. Questions are:

How long is this 45? Is it 36" or 48"

1. do I have the right combo of cichlid species to co-exist or will I eventually have to remove the more aggresive ones and add less aggressive varieties?

You have a big mix that shouldnt be stock long term together. You need to look up the profiles of the fish and not note aggression and size. Try to match attitudes together and stay under 5" of a full grown cichlid in a 48" tank. In a 36" you need to pick out mbuna only if going with rift lake Cichlids that won't get over 4" smaller is best. Plus in that tank size it would be best to not keep extremely or aggressive cichlids. I'd go more for the mild or peaceful ones imo.

3. how long till the chemical levels are right for changing the cichlids to the 55 and letting the 45 get adjusted to a new environment? (like changing from rocks over to plants and driftwood)

Ok now your talking a 55 :)
Just swap everything over as long as you.don't add new fish right away there should be enough bacteria left to keep it under control. But it may have a mini cycle its different for everyone and you never.know what it will do. Just keep a close eye on things for a week and do water changes as needed.

This should help ya out a little
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-mbuna-stocking-dcor-hardware/

@DjBootleg-They are little fish at this point. The biggest are the OB and the Zebra and they might be 1.5"-2". The rest are maybe an inch.

@Andrew-the 45 gallon i have is only 36" long, the 55 is 48" so I think they will be a lot happier.

I will be watching both your links you posted, thanks again for the advice. I'm hooked on fish!!

@DjBootleg-They are little fish at this point. The biggest are the OB and the Zebra and they might be 1.5"-2". The rest are maybe an inch.

@Andrew-the 45 gallon i have is only 36" long, the 55 is 48" so I think they will be a lot happier.

I will be watching both your links you posted, thanks again for the advice. I'm hooked on fish!!

I'd shoot for 12-15. I have that I my tank. Just keep I mind that some cichlids get big. So they might be small now but they do get like 7 inches. Some at least. Good luck!

When you intro. the mbunas to the 55g my advice to you is this-
1. Plenty of rockwork to break up their "line of sight"
2. Go Males only if your only looking for display and not breeding.
3. If your interested in breeding, go species ONLY. Malawian mbunas and other africans will hybridize at the drop of a hat!
4. Get your substrate right along with decor. This will help you greatly when it comes to the ph. value your trying to achieve.
5. Diet: Mbunas need easily digested proteins and veggies, mostly leafy greens are appreciated.

If you go with an all male tank, get the ph. right, give them a good food source and keep nitrates low you'll be rewarded with COLOR. The males will show off to each other for "kng of the hill" and with all other values optimal it could possibly be your best show tank ever!!
Good luck. >=))))(°>

African cichlids are very hardy fish. They don't need the higher ph. or super low nitrates but they'll show you their best when their optimal conditions are met.

I have 12 total cichlids and the two other fish. Will this be sufficient overstocking for a 55 g)

I have 14 mildy aggressive cichlids in my 55g.. i plan to have 20 soon tryin to decide what to add as my cichlids are still young and are tryin to decide whos boss.. goodluck lots of helpful people on here .. just be sure to research for yourself which i see andrew has helped by providing info as well as others have from this thread too .

Back
Top Bottom