Need Help/Ideas/Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! So, I have set up my first real planted tank! It’s nothing amazing buts a 110 and i am absolutely in love, so far everyone gets along and the plants aren’t dead yet! Soon i can start worrying about making the plants grow too. The reason I am posting asking for questions is because I want a big beautiful centerpiece fish for the tank but I have NO idea how to pick out a winner! This is what I have so far:
110-gallon Tank
3 Candy Cane Tetras
2 Bleeding Heart Tetras (they were a gift. Someone bought me these instead of the candy canes but they all get along)
5 Otto Cats
3 Peppered Cory Cats
3 Weather Loaches
pH 7.4 and temp is a steady 78/80 (I know high but where I live it’s the best I can do)

Ideas I had but have not committed to because I know there will be issues are:
Discus - I have ALWAYS wanted these, they are beautiful.
Paradise Gourami – Real jerks from what I have heard
Blue Gourami – Smaller than the other two, but still a nice fish

Any Suggestions would be great, thank you! :thanks:

P.S. The shrimp in the photo is no longer with us =(

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 53
:welcome:

What a great tank to start with! You have a lot of room to grow with this. Here are a few suggestions, but note that I'm not familiar with weather loaches...:confused:

3 Candy Cane Tetras
2 Bleeding Heart Tetras

You have 100 gallons to play with, why not schools of (say) 11 each? Or a score of one and let the others hang out with them, since their schooling together. Either way, this would look pretty in such a big tank.

3 Peppered Cory Cats

Corydoras are almost always happiest in schools of 5 or more. Again, you've got room for a baker's dozen, at which point you'd see some interesting behavior.

5 Otto Cats

This is a good minimum for these guys, but I would wait to add more until you're sure there's enough algae for them to eat.

Discus - I have ALWAYS wanted these, they are beautiful.

Gorgeous fish, but not for a beginner. I've not kept them, but discus keepers seem to put a *lot* of work into keeping them healthy.

Paradise Gourami – Real jerks from what I have heard

They can be, but it's not guaranteed. Your tank is at the warm end of their temperature range, though.

Blue Gourami – Smaller than the other two, but still a nice fish

Blues, Gold, and Opalines (all colors morphs of the same species) can be buttheads, but, like paradise fish, it's not guaranteed. I'd try one male in your tank and see how he behaves.

On the other hand, I think 3-4 pearl gouramis (just one male, though) would be stunning. They're among the gentler gourami species.

Good luck with this, and be sure to post pics! :popcorn:

:welcome:

What a great tank to start with! You have a lot of room to grow with this. Here are a few suggestions, but note that I'm not familiar with weather loaches...:confused:

You have 100 gallons to play with, why not schools of (say) 11 each? Or a score of one and let the others hang out with them, since their schooling together. Either way, this would look pretty in such a big tank.

Corydoras are almost always happiest in schools of 5 or more. Again, you've got room for a baker's dozen, at which point you'd see some interesting behavior.

This is a good minimum for these guys, but I would wait to add more until you're sure there's enough algae for them to eat.

Gorgeous fish, but not for a beginner. I've not kept them, but discus keepers seem to put a *lot* of work into keeping them healthy.

They can be, but it's not guaranteed. Your tank is at the warm end of their temperature range, though.

Blues, Gold, and Opalines (all colors morphs of the same species) can be buttheads, but, like paradise fish, it's not guaranteed. I'd try one male in your tank and see how he behaves.

On the other hand, I think 3-4 pearl gouramis (just one male, though) would be stunning. They're among the gentler gourami species.

Good luck with this, and be sure to post pics! :popcorn:

A weather loach is a Dojo Loach, they are the highlight of my tank and so much fun to just watch!

Thank you for the suggestions, I was planning on increasing the school sizes in due time, just don't want to add to much to fast

Well I bought 4 more pepper corys, they are just to dam cute and they are in quarantine now, I also lowered the heat on the tank and hopefully everyone will be happy!

I still don't know what center piece I want, it's hard to choose since the tank is on the colder side

Back
Top Bottom