Need help identifying a tiny snail i found.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beefstrudel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I found a tiny golden snail in my little snail tank. Only one mystery snail in there, doing great growing new shell fast. Had Malaysian trumpet snails in there bit they all died because it wasn't cycled. Well it is now. And now I have a mysterious baby snail.

Attachments

• IMG_20130524_073406.jpg
    IMG_20130524_073406.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 72
Should I keep him out of my tank? I dont want to put it back until I know there's not going to be a population explosion. I guess I'm asking if they reproduce on their own. And any theory as to how this guy got in my tank?

+1 on the pond snail. Yes you could have a population explosion if there's too much food for them. Have you added any plants lately? Could've hitchhiked in on them.i have some that keep,showing up in my 10g tanks, I just take them out as I see them & I only drop an algae wafer once a week & feed the occasional veggie, so far I haven't be over run with them.

Yeah keep him out if you don't want them. Chances are there will probably be more somewhere in there too. I had a massive population explosion; enter three yoyo's and its finally under control.

Your call. I don't personally mind them, in fact I purposely infested my 55g with them. Although that was so my assassin snails wouldn't eat my MTS. Now I have a small snail graveyard at 1 side of my tank because my powerhead blows all the shells down there. I look at them in a different light from most people. They eat the leftover food in the tank that would just rot if it had been left out there contributing to an increase in ammonia production.

Just keep in mind that a single pond snail can multiply like crazy all by itself.

I think I'm beginning to appreciate snails a lot more these days as well. My lfs friend advised me to add snails to all of my tanks (even the smallest ones) and so far have not seen any negative effects of it (i.e. changes in water parameters). I have not had issues with "dirty looking tanks" but getting good clean up done when you have tons of live plants, driftwood and stuff in there can be challenging. Seems that my "cleaning crews" of snails and ghost shrimp are doing very fine job. Have to do more reading on snails and their life habits but seem to recall that they are hermaphrodites? And can multiply solo??? Will see what happens. Doing daily water testing so should be able to pick up bad things quickly, I hope:)

Did you say it is a golden color like yellow golden or brownish bronze golden?

golden to the brown side , pond snail...otherwise you could leave it till it gets a little bigger to tell for sre.

Either way I like mine they are amazing tank cleaners and very attractive in small numbers, only noticed a few for months now. I am beginning to think they don't like lower pH, as I haven't had an explosion, yet my Ramshorns are doing good and it helps if you don't over feed.

Its definitely more of a spotty bronze brown gold color. Its a pond snail for sure. It looks just like what google brings up. I think I'll try to keep them under control. It is a snail tank after all. I just don't know how it could have gotten in there. The ornaments in this tank are from a previous tank. And no plants. I haven't messed with live plants yet. Could it have hitched a ride on a mystery snail? Which is growing very fast. He's already added like half an inch of strong shell. I guess the cuttlebone really helps.

They can hitch in on just about anything. They are really miniature so can get caught up in fish bags without realizing it.

Back
Top Bottom