Need help identifying this pleco.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gizmo 7-7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought this pleco a few weeks ago. They sold it to me as a Tiger pleco. I am pretty sure it is not. To me, it looks like a butterfly L168. Does anybody know which pleco this is?

ForumRunner_20120130_170900.jpg

ForumRunner_20120130_170958.jpg

ForumRunner_20120130_171040.jpg

StickyOto said:
A striped plecostomus I think this is your fish.

Thanks for the input, but I don't think it is the striped pleco L199. The stripes looks different to me. Thanks though.

Patterns on juvies are usually completely different than adults. Best bet for a definite ID is to get some pics of the mouth and teeth (pleco on front glass) if possible.

Patterns on juvies are usually completely different than adults. Best bet for a definite ID is to get some pics of the mouth and teeth (pleco on front glass) if possible.

Beautiful pleco. Looks like a L168 to me. I would love to find them here because I want one.

I looked for a L168 online and they sell for around $80. A little out of my league. It also said they are difficult to breed. Do you agree Todd?

I looked for a L168 online and they sell for around $80. A little out of my league. It also said they are difficult to breed. Do you agree Todd?
Difficult to breed means they're wild-caught imports, and most likely not a commonly (or maybe easily) collected species. That price does seem a bit high for a random species of pleco. You may find a better price on aquabid, or try contacting some of the importer/sellers there.
There is a current auction for L-340 F1 juvies that haven't been bid up too much yet. Same seller I got my L-333's from a couple years ago, he will likely have more available after the auction ends.

toddnbecka said:

Thanks, I'll try to get a pic on the glass, but he is usually on the gravel and wood. Thanks for the help.

Maltimomma said:

Yeah I think I got lucky. I got it for $30. The store thought it was a Tiger Pleco, I knew it wasn't so I just bought it. Haha.

Quite likely that's what they received it as, may have been alone or part of a larger group. Good deal for $30, particularly from an lfs.

Back
Top Bottom