Need help IDing something in my tank (no pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have this build up of white or cream colored egg looking things. It's on the part of my hood that flips open. I have seen it on DW in one of my other tanks but didn't think anything of it. Well this is the second time it's happened in my big tank and once in my smaller one. Both have Golden Mystery Snails in there. That's the only thing the tanks have in common.

If you can't picture it, picture a wasp nest. More elongated rather than hanging down by a thread, the entirety of it is like glued to my hood. Can post pictures this evening but trying to get a diagnostic before hand.

That's what I thought too but there is only one snail in there. Can they reproduce alone?

As far as I know there needs to be a male with the female. Although in this case you might have 2 females. Only asumption I can make

I have 2 but they're in separate tanks and have never lived together. I really have no idea how it happened. I flicked one off one time and some of the fish picked at it for a minute and then I removed later during a water change. The other day I left the hood open and it dried pretty bad but it's still hanging on so I'm gonna leave it there and see what happens. I have a yo-yo loach in there for ramshorn snails overtook my tank buy he doesn't mess with Gary the snail (my girlfriend loves spongebob)

I'm talking about flicking the eggs off, not the snails and the eggs dried out lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snails are A sexual they can reproduce without a mate , as for the eggs do what you like with them let them hatch or feed the fish with them

The fish wouldn't touch them but for a minute or so then left them alone so I removed them. I'll let this batch hatch

How long has the snail been in the tank? It could have had a hook up previously.

Here is a pic of Mystery snail eggs - on the underside of the DW.
60074-albums11380-picture50814.jpg

The size of the egg deposit can be the size of a dime or ~ 4 inches.

After a few weeks, one day you have lots of little dots on the glass and you find out they're tiny snails. Don't clean the glass for awhile so there is a film on it for them to eat.

Yep, that's exactly what it looks like. That's what I thought they were but you never know. Thanks for the info guys and if they hatch, I'll post pictures

They are great! And can come out different color variations too. :) The they can get dry and crumbly on the sides, outside but can still hatch on the ones towards the inside. They breath air so can not be submerged or will drown :(

They need a semi humid environment to stay viable. You will see some crumbly spots on the mass once the snails have hatched.

Just don't scrub anything in the tank for a little while.

They are great! And can come out different color variations too. :) The they can get dry and crumbly on the sides, outside but can still hatch on the ones towards the inside. They breath air so can not be submerged or will drown :(

They need a semi humid environment to stay viable. You will see some crumbly spots on the mass once the snails have hatched.

Just don't scrub anything in the tank for a little while.
Probably why Gary put them on the hood lid. It's moist from evaporation

Back
Top Bottom