Need help, just bought a tank at a garage sale, has crack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Domilee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am not sure if this is the right forum, and I can't find an Australian site to help me but I need some advice. My Fiance and I just bought a tank approx 3ft long by 1.2 ftwide by 1.3 deep, we bought it at a garage sale. It has a crack in one of the side panels that is approx 3-5 cm long. It doesn't appear to go all the way through and the previous owner said that it didn't leak but I would like to know if there is any sealant I could use on it, or would I be better off replacing that panel? I have attached a photo, it isn't too clear but you can just make out the line.Any advice would be great. Thankyou.

Attachments

• fish_tank_211.jpg
    fish_tank_211.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 438
Thought so, :( with that big a tank and that much water I don't want to risk flooding my house. Now how hard is it to replace a panel?? It is only the smaller side one approx 1.2 foot by 1.3 foot??

Thankyou to for your help. :fadein:

Domilee....

It isn't that difficult to replace a panel of glass on an aquarium the size of yours.

The first step is to remove the old panel. This is best accomplished running a razor blade along the silicone sealant seams that join the panel you want to replace to the rest of the aquarium. Don't give in to the temptation to pull on the glass pane....keep using the razor blade until the old glass separates easily.

Once the glass is free, remove any traces of silicone sealant from the glass still on the aquarium by scraping carefully with the razor blade. Then clean any remaining residue with acetone. Removing all of the old sealant is very important or you might not get a complete seal when you put on the new glass.

Allow the acetone to dry completely and then run a thin but solid line of silicone aquarium sealant (available at most pet stores) along all of the areas where the new glass will join the old glass. Put the new glass panel in place, bottom edge first and at a slight angle, Once the new panel is aligned correctly then press it firmly but carefully (glass breaks easily under pressure) against the aquarium. Hold it in place with duct tape.

Apply a second solid line of silicone sealant along the inside glass joints and then run your thumb along the sealant to smooth it and force it into the glass joint. Once this is done then allow the sealant to cure for 24 - 48 hours. Don't get impatient or you'll have to start all over again.

Refill the tank with water and allow it to stand for a day or two. This job is best done someplace that will be easy to clean up if you have any leaks. :lol: After a successful test period, drain the tank and it is now ready to be moved to its permanent location and set up.

Common mistakes to avoid:

- Make sure the glass you're using is the same thickness as the glass you're replacing. Unless you're comfortable cutting your own glass then it is best to have a professional glazier cut it for you. Make sure the new piece is of the same dimensions as the old piece and that the sides are straight.
- Make sure you're using 100% non-toxic silicone sealant that is designed for aquarium use.
- Make sure the glass is completely clean before trying to join the new panel to the old ones.
- Make sure you use enough silicone sealant.
- Make sure the new glass panel is correctly aligned with the rest of the aquarium.
- Make sure you allow adequate curing/setting time for the new sealant. High humidity will slow down the curing process.
- Duct tape won't stick well to glass under conditions of high humidity so try to do your repairs when the weather is cooperative.

Hope this helps...

Joe

I cant see if your tank has plastic trim but Im assuming it does... alot of manufactures use a really tough glue I think its called silicon glue or something to that effect on the seams that meet the glass.. this stuff is harder to remove then the silicone that holds the glass pieces together but it can be cut free if you are patient with it.. just a heads up for Fruitbat's great advise.. you might want to take the old panel with you when you go to buy the new piece of glass to make sure its cut to the correct dimensions and see if you cant find a place that can smooth the edges of the cuts, its not nessisary but is nice for the final product.. HTH

I have talked to All-Glass about replacing a cracked panel and they informed me to be very carful in the removal of the plastic trim at the top of the tank it is very difficult to remove it with out damaging it and if it is damaged it needs to be replaced also...After researching the cost of replacing a panel on a 90gal tank...I decided it was better just to replace the tank...it would have cost almost 150 dollars to replace one panel on a tank I could replace with a new one for $250...The peice of mind of a new tank was well worth the extra 100 bucks

Unless you got a lot of accessories with it that are worth more than the tank, I'm with krap, get a refund. Otherwise, just get a new tank only and put all the stuff you got from the sale in the new tank. Most of the $ in this hobby is in the details, not the actual tanks.

You might want to get a quote on the new piece of glass (multiple quotes if you can) some places actually sell cheap glass (sometimes its overpriced)

Thanks everyone, we have decided to replace the glass, it is only going to cost about $25 to get a new piece cut and we have all the sealant and silicone as my brother in law just repaired his tank.

Hubby measured wrong, the tank is 3 foot wide, 38 cm deep and 43 cm high (not 30)

It came with a wooden stand, heater, pump, rocks, and picturesque accessories ie ship, diver etc.

We only paid $50 (Aussie, approx $35-38US) so even if the glass replacement fails we aren't too bad off.

That seems to be about a 40 gallon tank.. it seems to be a strange size.. but less then $1 US dollor per gallon is a very good deal! :p

Back
Top Bottom