Need Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agentnerdo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey...my neibour just gave me his old tank so ican use it to keep my koi fish inside for the winter....with the tank he also gave me this rectangle that says "Excel mini" its mostly red and on one side has a hole that i think a pipe gets fit onto. I plugged it in and it vibrates quite noisily.....because i go to school...and my neibour works the night shift i havent got a chance to ask him what it does....i really dont feel like disutrbing him on the one day he does get off..can someone please tell me what this mashine is used for? should i be using it for koi fish?

thnx in advange

It sounds like a filter. If it is a filter and is noisy that is probably because it needs water in it to prime it. Welcome to AA btw! :wave: What size of tank did he give you and what size Koi do you have? Because your tank will most likely not be cycled you will need to do water changes to keep the ammonia down. If you don't have a test kit I would recommend getting a liquid test kit and keeping an eye on your ammonia.

Thnx for ur respond....i think its roughly a 10 gallon thank.....i though it was a filter to but i didnt fell like puttin it under water to test it.....but i think its one of those filters that u attack a pipe too...that pipe then goes thorugh this long brownish rod....and from there the air bubbles out....

right now i only got 1...my rest were eaten in the summer...it sucked because my neibour also sold me 2 japanese koi fish and one was roughly 7-8 inches long and the other was around 5 inchies...and only for 40 bucks! the first one was soo big that what ever eat it couldnt even finish him/her....so that left a real big mess...but im plannin of gettin a few more...how many do u think i can put in this tank??? my current one is rougly 4 inches

i also got a 35 gallon tank with two gold fishes in them...they are still tiny but we like to say that they live like kings....lol

and what else..other than decoration and lightin....should i put in my tank? any certain fish that will help my koi? even mate maybe?? or am i just dreamin now?

thnz in advance guys...really good website

Sounds more like an air pump, and not a filter. By pipe, do you mean rubber tubing of some sort? How large is the hole?

If that's the case, it won't do much for you. I'd go out and get yourself a nice Hang-on-back power filter for your tank. They can be founf for less than $15 in most cases.

Zagz is right though. You'll need to get a test kit also, and make sure you keep up on water changes during the winter. Goldfish are messy, as I'm sure you know, and in such a small tank you'll need to be vigilant with the water to keep it in top notch.

As far as tank mates go, I would say that the koi is all you'l want to put in there. That's just my opinion though. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom