Need help with BioCube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lwaxana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought the Oceanic BioCube 29g approx. 6 weeks ago. Its freshwater with about 10 little tropical fish. BUT I hate it!!!!

I've always had aquariums growing up and throughout adulthood so I know how to take care of them quite well. I really liked the look of the BioCube and the fact that the filter set is enclosed in the back BUT it has been the biggest pain.

I have lost probably 10 fish due to them being "thrown" over the back into the filter and from there - they are gone!! I can't lower the water level then the filter on the left side starts making this loud screeching noise.

Im just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the BioCube and/or any solutions on what I can do. The "old fashioned" type tanks and filters always worked to great and I never lost fish so Im thinking of taking this BioCube back and exchanging it.

But I can't be the only one who has lost fish in the BioCube due to them going into the filter.... am I?

Help! :eek:

I have a 29 g cube also but set for saltwater and i have not had any fish go over the back like you. Not even a snail.

I know that I dont not use the "factory" filter mounts on the intake side (one with the slots) so with the addition of a foam block I have, I can control the water level in the main tank by moving the blocks up or down to allow more water to pass across the top of the blocks, sorta like surface skimming. I also have to make sure that I am with the water level guage area on the right side min - max window.

I am at a loss just trying to think of how/why your fish are going over the back.. Not to be a butt head or anything but are you sure you "assembled" the back area properly?

I'm sorry for you loss and I really hope the problem can be sortedout soon. The BioCubes are great systems IMO.

My girlfriend's aunt has had that exact same problem (she's also got the 29 g cube with FW, it was given to her as a gift). I tried to fix it for her by buying some filter floss and just ripping it up and kinda molding it onto the edge between the tank and the filter part (so it sits right on top of the ridge). That was only two days ago, so I don't really know how well it works, but as far as I know, no more fish have gone over, and it looks like it would at the very least be more difficult for them to make the jump...

Also, somehow one of her glofish made its way into the filter assembly on the bottom right side of the thing and it's in an area that can't be disassembled so the best she can hope for is it can somehow make it out of there on its own (she thinks since it's so small it went through the slits)

You can give the filter floss a try, or hopefully someone on here can give you a better solution..

Firstly, I realize this is an old thread but anyways...

Secondly, to prevent fish from jumping onto the filter crate\cover build a wall. I have one made out of plastic, cut to fit behind the light's guard, and cut with slots to slide into the dividers.

Thirdly, don't use those standard filters, it's dumb to piss away money on those. Buy carbon, put it in the media bag it comes with and put it in the 2nd chamber, along with the poly wool to polish the water.

I have a 29gal JAD (simular to the BioCube, less expensive) and have had a simular problem. I've had two guppies go through the pump and come out as chum on the other side. Recently I pulled one of my shrimp from the spounge side.

I'm gona try the filter floss!

same problem here!

i just moves 6 neon tetra's into my new biocube14. and i not have 5. i emptied the tank in effort to find this lost fish. and i cannot find it. it's not anywhere in the tank, i ripped it all apart. i'm extremely confused right now. i just hope it dosen't happen again. i spent a good 4 hours using a flashlight and some tools (after draining the water) in efforts to look into the space thats blocked of in the filtration system. but again, there was no fish.

any help? or suggestions. and don't tell me it could have jumped out, because i actually thought of that already, and there's no little fish body laying around my tank..

but over all i love the tank. i just plan to get a larger fish, one that cant get into the filter system.

yes, i did. i removed EVERYTHING inside the filter area.
i took apart the pump, took out the bioballs and the removable shelf that keeps the balls up.
but it is nowhere. i looked for 4 hours, trying to look inside the spot under the cartridge filter.

hmm, maybe it died and your CUC took care of it fast?

oh wait, this is FW. hmm, well then i have no clue!

I ended up making my own block for my cube. out of Styrofoam. it works and fits perfectly.
And that fish is still a mystery! i guess i'll just let it be. if something bad ever happens like a spike in ammonia, i guess i'll know to look again!

Back
Top Bottom