need help with decision, on selling or giving away cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a female kribensis cichlid who has just reached breeding age..i didn't donate her with the rest of the brood because she has a defect with her tail fin. She's perfectly healthy, just kept her because i didnt want to "pollute" the gene pool in the aquarium trade.
I've come to the point where I can't keep her anymore, any thoughts on what i should do with her?

Again, she's perfectly healthy, just has a bum tail fin haha.
Any ideas are appreciated!

Steve

Sell her on Craigslist or give her away on Craigslist. You can always see if your LFS will take her.

Club

See if a local Aquarium club or fish rescue will take her, you don't want her genes in the pool. very good for you. There is also the option of putting her down, because once she leaves your hands there is no way to know what that person will do with her.

There is no guarantee that the mutation will be passed on, it could be a somatic mutation meaning it affects only her. Years ago I had a female P. elongatus who didn't have a tail fin at all. I assumed it was genetic as well, but she produced dozens of broods for me, and not a single one of her offspring was lacking a tail.

Back
Top Bottom