Need Help with High PH (8.4) and GH (0)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're using test strips huh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Usually we suggest getting a liquid based test kit which covers ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph plus kh/gh tests if you want. Like API master test kit.

The cardboard strips are inaccurate for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (I find they under-read), ok'ish for ph and fine for kh. Not sure on gh but a 0 reading seems odd with high ph.

Those test strips usually arnt very accurate when stored properly, if they've been exposed than forget it.. can you get your self the api liquid master kit??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank ya'll for the help!

I think I will just take a sample in to my store, so he can give me a better reading. (in scared i will mess it up...LOL)

I think I will just take a sample in to my store, so he can give me a better reading. (in scared i will mess it up...LOL)

As suits really, just make sure you record the readings and not that it is just 'all fine'.

The test kits usually have detailed instructions but they only really have a few steps to do. Follow the instructions and you will never have a problem. Usually it is something like add 5 drops from one bottle then add 5 drops from another bottle, wait and compare to colour chart. Something like that anyways.

A pH of 8.4 may not be ideal, but it's not the end of the world either. That how high mine is too (Lake Michigan water is Hard and Alkaline).
While there are some fish with more specific water requirements, most of the fish seen in this hobby are able to adapt to a wide range of conditions. Research any fish you're thinking about getting to be on the safe side.
Ask your LFS what the pH and Hardness is of their water while you're getting yours tested. The larger the difference, the more slowly you will need to acclimate any fish you purchase from them.
I usually do a slow, drip acclimation with all my fish anyways, but that's me.

Personally I would get an API test master kit and a Gh/Kh kit. Follow the simple instructions. Take control. I don't trust LFS water tests. Record your readings on a simple spreadsheet and write notes about water changes/meds/changes etc and you will soon see and understand your tank. IMO it is the only way.

Your Tank Water

I have a 50 Gal freshwater. All of my numbers are great, except for PH, and GH.
please help, after searching the internet, I am now SOOOOOO confused!

Hello jenn...

Don't fret over the water chemistry. Just change half the tank water every couple of weeks. This will maintain pure, stable water conditions for the tank inhabitants. A stable water chemistry is much simpler to maintain than a particular chemistry and much better for the fish and plants.

B

8.4 is quite high, its also a huge pita to drop down.

However there are some fish that will absolutely love you for it such as African cichlids. How large of a tank do you have? Also, what fish do you have? Lastly, would you be willing to change your stock to better suit your ph?

Back
Top Bottom