Need help with ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd like some help IDing this growing in my tank. The tank is currently fishless cycling and I'm not sure if it's a "normal" bacteria/fungus/algae/something. I've heard of brown algae in a cycling tank but not sure if this is what it looks like.

See below in the pictures. There's long "stringy" ones as seen in picture #1 and also smaller compact ones as in picture #2. It is covering almost everything.

Thanks!:thanks:

39992-albums2114-picture14022.jpg

39992-albums2114-picture14023.jpg

Sure it wasnt from your sand that didnt wash off properly and when the water settled that fell on everything?

Thats a form of algae. It's Normal for a tank in the cycling process.

Thats a form of algae. It's Normal for a tank in the cycling process.

That's what I was hoping to hear :). I noticed a few of the stringy ones the other day but I thought maybe it was lint or fuzz that got stuck to them and then today I turned on the tank light to get them and noticed all of the other stuff.

You should be okay. If it continues to happen when the cycle is done, your lights are on too long.

i actualy had a bad case of this stuff when i re-set up my tank it goes away on its own... its just kinda looks bad... if its a real problem you can kinda scrape off most of it and then just put what ever back in the tank.... but you have nothing to worry bout... live plants help aswell

I actually haven't had the lights on the entire cycle. Just the natural light coming into the room so I'm not too worried as long as it's algae.

no i would not brown algea looks like green algea on the glass its just a brown colour. this is white beard algea. its not super common but its no threat at all it goes away on its own in a while give it 4 weeks it should clear it self up

Back
Top Bottom