Need Help With Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiekelsey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a 75 gal freshwater tank. I'll probably use plastic plants.
I have no idea what type of lighting to use. Is LED lighting used only for marine or reef tanks? I don't want to hang lights from the wall. I prefer lights to lay on the top of the tank but I don't really want a hood with flourescent lights. Can anyone help me? Thanks

LED can be used for marine, reef, or FW/planted tanks. There are so many different makes and models it all depends what you want to do in the long run. Also, many of them are configured to rest on the tank.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Hooded flourescent lighting is old fashion T8 lights.. Regular T5's are sleek and small like the LED fixtures.. I have t5 normal outputs on all my tanks just about and the fixture is like 2 inches tall and 2-3 inchs wide.. LEDS are about that size. and most lights are the kind you lay on a glass top anyway.

I still don't like LED's personally, don't trust them to last like they claim for the $200+ price tag.. as I've had LEDS go dim before after only a year or so but that's just me it could be different now. Problem with flourescents though is the bulbs last maybe 6-12 months tops before they go really dim

If you don't have live plants you probably want to keep the light level low, or you'll just invite algae.

The inexpensive Marineland LEDs are a nice color and brightness without encouraging algae in my experience. I have a few fixtures that are over a year old with no dimming.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom