Need help with my moss, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
so here is my tank as of recent, I really have just let the moss grow and havent trimmed it or nothing. I don't really like the look of it right now and would like to start spreading it along the driftwood. I really let this stuff grow out of control and because the drift wood it attached to slate which is under the substrate I can't just simply remove all the dw from the tank..

I don't really know how to tackle this though, some of the lower parts of the dw are buried so I won't be able to wrap fishing line / thread around it. What are my other options?

Do I just cut up the big clumps of moss I have now and spread it out? Whats the best approach here for spreading this around and still making it look somewhat decent? I don't want to kill the moss of either.

any help / suggestions would be awesome.

here is a pic of my tank. moss types are christmas, java, and flame.

should I stick with only 1 moss or what?

Is that sag platy at the front?

Easiest option is to remove the driftwood and tie it on tbh. You might be able to cut some moss, take it out of the tank and attach some cotton thread to it. Then wrap the thread tightly around your driftwood in position and try get a knot on it. Should hold long enough for the moss to grow around the wood.

Other than that i dont think you have many options

yeah for me to get that drift out of the tank at this point means a complete tear down. I won't be doing that till I buy my new house which is still not for a year or so. huge slate tiles that the dw is bolted too.

yeah for me to get that drift out of the tank at this point means a complete tear down. I won't be doing that till I buy my new house which is still not for a year or so. huge slate tiles that the dw is bolted too.

Well i think your only option is to try tieing the moss on with cotton thread the best you can

Can you get your arms in there to fasten some green zip ties? It can be done one handed with some practice and dexterity.. I couldn't see the pic for some reason, also using a mesh wrap will contain the chaos, again you'll need to fasten it somehow, blanketing the whole section will look a little rough at first but in time it will grow in tight and neat on the mesh...

Can you get your arms in there to fasten some green zip ties? It can be done one handed with some practice and dexterity.. I couldn't see the pic for some reason, also using a mesh wrap will contain the chaos, again you'll need to fasten it somehow, blanketing the whole section will look a little rough at first but in time it will grow in tight and neat on the mesh...

Zip tie is a great idea

I use them all the time.. Easy to snip and remove later too.. My hardware store has tons if different colors for matching plants, wood, rocks, tubes, etc...

heres what i ended up with, i ran out of moss but I am sure I can grow some more in a month or so. will keep working at it.

It was a huge pain using thread underwater... I have all 3 different mosses mixed together now which i cut up into small chunks and tied down.

thanks a lot, I am hoping to get a lot more coverage over the next bit. I am still very unsure of my plant position and stuff, its just one big learning curve.

Super glue is always an option too, and iirc you can apply it to wood that is wet as long as it isn't submerged.

Take crazy glue, and glue very small parts of moss everywhere on your DW... It should grow like crazy with good lighting.

Back
Top Bottom