need help with my pictus cat~

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_brokenglass_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok he's not unhealthy disease-wise, but i'd still say he's "unhealthy" ~ while moving him between tanks, i remembered a bit too late that you're not supposed to move pictus's in nets... he got stuck, and i had to cut him out. i cut around his fins, on the thought that he'd work himself out of the netting. this is what he looks like now (look at the fins):

img_532025_0_913f75dcce72a5765c623eaa51812687.jpg

img_532025_1_e800371588803a1f43a0371d6832ccef.jpg

... i'm not sure what to do. i'm scared to try and remove the rest of the netting, but have a feeling that's what needs to be done =/ maybe that... erm... white fluffy stuff is the fish equivalent of a scab, and he'll still work his way out of the netting? any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

His fins seem to be infected and wounded. Also he looks pretty thin, a little starved.

I've never treated fin infections before, but I know you got to be careful if they get fungused. I guess somebody else can help you on that.

Until then give him some more food!

The red areas are definitely open wounds. I would try to remove the netting because it will only fester and prevent the wound from healing. Try grasping the netting with a pair of forceps - when the fish swims away, it should pull away.

I would keep the fish in a separate filtered, heated hospital tank. To reduce stress, provide a clay flowerpot or something for it to hide under. Keep the temp on the low side (75oF) to retard bacterial growth. Dose daily with Melafix and do 25% water changes daily until the redness disappears. In the meantime, pick up some Marycyn in case the wounds become badly infected. HTH

Back
Top Bottom