Need Help with my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I am kinda new to the hobby and i need some help.
I would like to start my tank by doing a lot of research first.

currently i have a 20g high tank. I plan on putting about 10 neon tetras, 1 bamboo shrimp, and the rest will be red cherry shrimp or other dwarf shrimps.

i need to know what kind of filter i need to have. I just bought an aqua clear 30 today and i wanna see if that good enough or i need to get an aqua clear 50 or would that just be overkilling it?

i also would like to know what kind of substrate i should have for my shrimps. I currently have big large substrate (the ones you get from petco with its natural colors) that's about 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch per rock. do i need a smaller substrate?

Another thing is what circulation pump should i use for this tank for my bamboo shrimp. i know he wants a current or would my power filter already make that current without a pump?

advices would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Most people say you need a HOB filter rated 2 times the size of your tank, reason being is that over time your HOB filter will lose some water flow from wear and tear. As far as substrate for shrimp gravel is fine, most people say RCS look best with black sand (don't own any myself, but have some shipping to me this week). As far as the bamboo shrimp, I can't help ya with never owned one, but I can't imagine a small powerhead hurting anything.

thank you! that makes sense... i guess i have to go back to petco to get a different one.
another question since i am getting an aqua clear 50 instead of 30. would that suck my red cherry shrimps in? and if so should i put a sponge onto it so none of them would get sucked in?

would an aqua clear 50 have a stronger flow than aqua clear 30?

The aqua clear 50 would have a stronger flow than the 30, but as you know from the 30 you had, you can just set the outflow to the lowest setting. You can also block the outflow with plants and such if you think it's still too strong.

I'm also planning on getting a bamboo shrimp! I'm curious as to how it'll work out ( ive never owned one before). Still, I think the current from the filter should be ok. I've read that if bamboo shrimps aren't getting enough food from filter feeding that they start turning over gravel. I suppose you could watch for that, and then get a power head if necessary, like you see them searching for food instead of filter feeding. Just and idea :)

oh okay thank you. i'm not too worried about my bamboo shrimp cause I think it will survive but my red cherry shrimps are what I'm worried cause i don't want them getting sucked in by my filter. and yah! bamboo shrimps are awesome but I want a vampire shrimp instead. those look so much cooler!

petsmart sells a fluvial prefilter sponge that should just pop on your HOB filters intake. They are around 3 bucks or you could make one of your own out a sponge. Just put some water in a sponge freeze it and then drill it with the correct drill bit size (bit smaller than your intake pipe).

Back
Top Bottom