Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflychild View Post
Ok no i really dont have tons of money these items are what other people told me i needed. Can you 2 tell me what exsacally i NEED to copy pvc natural habitat. I want there home to be purfect for them. And you think 12 crabs will be fine in a 40 gal. Would it be ok to get afew more crabs when tanks ready then get a few more a few months later as there $12.99 each here. I know thats not a bad price but i dont want to get to many and have them die on me.
Yes, you don't need to add them all at once. I would actually wait a few months after buying the first few to see if they survive for you. I paid $12.99 ea for them locally as well and lost all but one that I purchased.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To copy the natural habitat--since they're tropical crabs, plants, soil of a mix that can support plants with plenty of drainage and allow them to burrow (siva's works well, but you can go simpler--they use potting soil and sphagnum moss by themselves for fiddler crabs to burrow in and that works out well for people), and water, can be moving since they live near rivers, but they're fine with standing. If you're willing to change out the water frequently, a filter is not strictly necessary (but nice). Plexi glass and silicone to separate the water from the dry land. Either tall plants or wood of some kind--grapevine, driftwood--for them to climb. Glass top to keep them from climbing out and to keep in humidity. If you keep your house in the 70's F I don't think a heater is necessary from what I've read of their temperature range tolerance.

5g planted Betta tank
KaylNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't use a filter or heater. As KaylNeko said, the room my palu is in stays above 70 so I don't think it's necessary. My water portion is also very shallow, which makes heating and filtering a challenge. Because most of the bi-colors use the water portion much less than the land, filtration isn't an issue. Especially since it will be planted. I just do a weekly water change on it and there are never ammonia or nitrite present.

I have actually never seen any of my fiddlers or bi-colors burrow, though I had expected that they would.

You had mentioned a misting/fogging system. I spray twice a day with a spray bottle from the dollar tree.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok im not that talented to do the foam thing im a simple female. lol
But was wondering what do you use to glue on the store bought backgrounds made from foam.? I was wanting some opinions about my setup of my 40gal tank. With glass lid and tank stand. Wood looking background I was thinking of taking plexi glass and putting 2 pieces down the middle(length of the tank) about 4 inches wide but on a slant glueing substract or sand on them after glueing them to tank. Making that the water part (Stream) put pebbles on the bottom of the water part and a few bigger rocks with plants and some kind of moss i think, Finding a way to have a waterfall(I think i wil just buy one). Right side of land will have small driftwood, plants, moss, hidyholes and rocks with soil. On the Left side i want to put sand or substract with plants and moss. On the very bottom of the tank i was thinking gravel or small stones in natrual colour. Then plastic screen on top of that with sand on Left side and soil on Right side on top of sand. So what do you think will this work for the PVC. I have ordered my 40gal tank so far but need all the other stuff so i can order the rest as i get the money.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

IM SORRY
Ok im not that talented to do the foam thing im a simple female. lol
But was wondering what do you use to glue on the store bought backgrounds made from foam.? I was wanting some opinions about my setup of my 40gal tank. With glass lid and tank stand. Wood looking background I was thinking of taking plexi glass and putting 2 pieces down the middle(length of the tank) about 4 inches wide but on a slant glueing substract or sand on them after glueing them to tank. Making that the water part (Stream) put pebbles on the bottom of the water part and a few bigger rocks with plants and some kind of moss i think, Finding a way to have a waterfall(I think i wil just buy one). Right side of land will have small driftwood, plants, moss, hidyholes and rocks with soil. On the Left side i want to put sand or substract with plants and moss. On the very bottom of the tank i was thinking gravel or small stones in natrual colour. Then plastic screen on top of that with sand on Left side and soil on Right side on top of sand. So what do you think will this work for the PVC. I have ordered my 40gal tank so far but need all the other stuff so i can order the rest as i get the money.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm a simple female as well! LOL I used GE I for basement/kitchen/attic silicone. It must be this variety, and not one containing a mildewcide.

I think your plan will work great!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Why cant i get my messages.? I go to my email and says i have message from this site so i click on it. It takes me here but this comes up.

No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

i cant see or get anything in here unless i serch and look.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

eh, prob just something a little funny going on that will fix itself shortly. Mouse over Quick Links and click Subscribed Threads. Can be easier to find the stuff you're working on that way rather that through email.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you so very much siva your great for putting my post in the right place aswell thank you so very much for the great complement i hope all works well im getting exsited about building my crabs a great and hopefully happy home. I ordered my 40 gal tank will be here Tuesday. Now i just need to figure out what i have to order next. Should i get the plexiglass and silicone next, Then order the lid and gravel, Then sand and soil, Then filter and plants then all the other stuff.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

My pleasure. Yes! The tank will need plenty of time to air out after you silicone it. Then you'll leak test, possibly have to re-seal parts, and let air out again, so that should be the next step!

Tags
crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com