Need help with purple vampire crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you siva. Ok i will get a spray bottle that sure will save me alot of money. What is aragonite and were can i find it. Were can i find Calci sand. Im not sure if that light fixture is exspensive or not i have to look into it i just loved the thought of what it does but not sure it will give the PVC what they need.

Oh I'm sure it will. It sounds very nice.

Aragonite is a calcium carbonate substrate often used in salt tanks. I used a 100% digestable reptile calci-sand that was easier for me to find locally.

Im not sure i can fins the Aragonite around here. But the calci- sand i may i will have to ask my LPS. If i cant get either of them is there something else i can use thats ok for PVC.?

Betcha cuttlebone would work if you're talking about something for them to munch on. That's pure calcium almost, found in the bird aisle. Folks use it for snails a lot if their water's too soft.

Im not really looking for the Calcium i am trying to find something i can use on top of my pebbles. I was told to use organic potting soil but my LHWS only has organic top soil. Someone told me NOT to use soil as it will run into my water and make it brown and muddy and i dont want that. So im trying to figure out what to use. They said to mix Aragonite or calci-sand together with the soil. IM getting so confussed lol (which isnt that hard to do lol).

Thank you siva. Ok i will get a spray bottle that sure will save me alot of money. What is aragonite and were can i find it. Were can i find Calci sand. Im not sure if that light fixture is exspensive or not i have to look into it i just loved the thought of what it does but not sure it will give the PVC what they need.

Aragonite sand is usually available at Pet Smart or any LFS that sells saltwater fish. Its sold in either dry bags (for cheap), or wet bags which contain "live sand". For your purpose you want to find a dry bag.

Cuttlebone was my back up plan, since it's made primarily of aragonite. If you use that, I would remove the backing(easiest way I've found is to chip away at it with a butter knife) and grind/smash it up. I also keep some pieces of cuttlebone burried in the substrate of the water portion.

Ok so should i use the organic top soil with the cuttlebone powder mixed in with it aswell as some subtract/sand. Or sound i use the plantation soil. Will the top soil make my water go brown if it gets in the water and will it clog my filter (when i figure what filter im going to use. I didnt see the Aragonite sand in petsmarts web site.

In one of the threads around here I was advised not to use the plantation soil. I would go with the top soil. Mix it with either cuttlebone, retile calci-sand, or aragonite sand...whichever one works for you. I definitely see mine eating the cacli-sand I used, so I'd probably recommend you use that.

A little getting in your water won't be disasterous.

Ok tysvm i will use the top soil. Is it ok if the top soil has been frozen though. I calle dmy LHWS and they said they had organic top soil but its outside in the snow and is frozen. Is it reptile calci sand you ment to say. Any paticular colour i should use ( iwas thinking of getting the lightest sand i can find as i cant see my crab in dark sand). Im using black substract right now and cant find him most the time. Thanks a ton siva

Sorry I missed this before. I grabbed what I found locally which is white. It will be mixed in with the soil though so I don't know how much it will help you find it. They are tricky little hiders.

OK i have my Vivarium started i have seashell Argonite in the water part. My gravel stones in land part with play sand on top now for the top soil i have top soil with manure in it thats what the LHWS says is Organic soil i will mix in the cuttlebone powder in with it should i add some of the seashell argonite in with it aswell. In the water is the seashell argonite enough or should i put in some play sand.? I do have a filter in the water part.

Back
Top Bottom