Need help writing to local LFS. Please take a peek.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have one LFS that sells a lot of painted fish-- painted glassfish, blood parrots, etc. I would like to write a letter to them asking them to stop stocking these fish as I believe that no one who would make a consciencious fishkeeper would purchase a fish like that knowing the facts about them.

It'd be great if any of you have some good info, statistics or resources that I could reference in the letter. My goal is, if not the cessation of stocking, that the LFS informs customers of how fish are painted and the harms of it.

:O Now I know what it means, 8O :eek:. I've never seen a apinted fish before. I;m im sure im never likly to eathert. Sounds so horrible :?

You might want to make a point at how fragile painted fish can be, and if a fish owner, who is unaware of the painting practice, has a painted fish that dies (due to its fragileness)... they will ultimately blame the fish store and not themselves

or something

Well, I finally wrote it and just stuck it in the mail. I figured if anyone else was interested in writing to their LFS it might save some time if you wanted to just tweak my letter. If you'd like a copy in Word, PM me.

Here's what I wrote:

In mid-October, I started as a new aquarist with a new tank. Upon visiting your store to stock my tank, my eye was caught by the painted glassfish you keep. I bought two of them for my aquarium unaware of the procedure used to give these fish their highlight. Since then, I have become an avid fish enthusiast and am somewhat appalled at learning the nature of the altered fish industry.

In your establishment specifically I have noticed the “painted glass fish” and the “painted” or “bubble gum blood parrot cichlid.” The method used to dye the painted glass fish involves several injections with ink or paint into the tiny fish. Even a successful attempt will leave the fish with a compromised immune system and a generally shorter lifespan. 90% of fish that survive the ordeal lose the dye within months, and 80% of all glassfish that undergo the infusion do not survive at all, (Citation in enclosure).

The blood parrots go through what may be considered to be an even more traumatic process with comparable mortality rates. To achieve the whole-body color alteration, the blood parrot is dipped in a caustic (acidic) solution to remove its slime coat which is vital to the immune system of the fish. It is then painted or dipped in dye to attain the desired color, and it is finally submerged in yet another irritant to stimulate the regrowth of the slime coat (Citation in enclosure). The health issues and longevity of the artificially-added color is the same as with the painted glass fish.

I do believe that it is a contradiction in terms to say that a person capable of conscientiously caring for fish is also capable of knowingly purchasing this type of fish. The aim of this letter is to ask for the cessation of stocking and selling any fish artificially altered in this manner or using similar methods. If you plan to continue selling these fish, I request that you make the facts about them readily available to your customers before purchase. To aid in that end, I have enclosed a reference sheet with some valuable information that you may impart to potential customers. If you are willing to agree to the former request, I would be more than delighted to shop at Fish Here Pet Center for my future aquarium needs. Thank you.

(Then my enclosure)

Methods

- Many fish such as the popular “Painted Glass Fish” are dyed with several injections at strategic points in their bodies. The size of the needle used is comparable to a golf ball sized needle in a human being. The procedure leads to the death of approximately 80% of participants, and remaining survivors’ health is severely compromised. 90% of the 20% that survive lose the color within months of the infusion. (Petfish.net; http://www.petfish.net/painted_glassfish.htm)

- Other fish like the “Painted Blood Parrot Cichlid” are dipped in an acidic solution to remove their vital slime coats which protect from various stresses on the fish. They are then dyed and dipped in another irritant that stimulates the regrowth of slime coat. The mortality rate, longevity of coloration, and health defects are comparable to the injection method. (Bella Online; http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art19442.asp)

- The popularity of the painted glass fish has all but wiped out the market for the original Indian Glassfish. (Petfish.net)

Fish to watch out for

-Gold Dollar
-Rainbow Ompok
-Blue Tinfoil Barb
-Oriental Tiger Fish
-Rainbotia
-Painted Glassfish
-Blueberry/Strawberry/Berry/Painted Tetra
-Blueberry/Strawberry Oscar
-Cotton Candy/Painted/Jelly Bean/Bubblegum Blood Parrots
-Polka-dot Gourami
-Many others (Deathbydyeing.org; http://www.deathbydyeing.org/colormedead.htm)

-Generally these fish are labeled as “painted” or “colored” but you can always ask the fish store to inform you if you are unsure.

That's a fantastically written letter. I'm hoping that your lfs owners don't know all the facts about painted/dyed fish - maybe they just sell whatever their distributors send them. Please let us know if they respond.

Will do.

I hope they don't know either. They seem like capable people, so it is surprising to me that they carry the fish.

That is just horrid! More kudos for you! I am going to look out for that now. My son gets freshwater fish all the time and tends to go for the colored ones, though none have been the ones listed here.

Know what's sick?

Know what's sick?

I'm not sure if I can name the name or not, so I won't, but it's a store that specializes in aquariums and is a chain store. They promote "shark" feedings at their stores, so if you know who I'm talking about...

Anyways, I told them that I was surprised and concerned that they were selling jellybean parrots. They had blues, purples, pinks, yellows...rainbow colours, you name it. I asked them if they knew they were died and they said "Yes." I asked why they would sell fish that they knew were died. I asked if they knew that their lifespans and general health were seriously affected by these processes.

They knew all of this and their answer to me was...
"They're popular and the lease doesn't pay iteself. Tell that to accounting."

:(

Back
Top Bottom