need ID on couple fish/shrimp/snail pls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokey11

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys I live in Hong Kong n got a couple additions to my tank recently. Uunderstandably the pet store only knew their Chinese names. I would appreciate it if anyone can help me ID them so I can research more about them online. Thanks!

ForumRunner_20121024_125346.jpg

ForumRunner_20121024_125405.jpg

ForumRunner_20121024_125424.jpg

ForumRunner_20121024_125450.jpg

ForumRunner_20121024_125512.jpg

ForumRunner_20121024_125532.jpg

For fish I see endlers livebearers, guppies, a red whiptail, and a rubber nose pleco.

The first pic of the 2 shrimp are bamboo shrimp/flower shrimp filter feeders

I believe the two smaller fish are guppies (male), they are a special kind, I have a few of them. I can't remember the exact name but I think it was something like penguin guppy.

The first pic of the 2 shrimp are bamboo shrimp/flower shrimp filter feeders

They look like they have pincers so I'd say they are actually crayfish.

Just to add, if those are crayfish ... which I suspect they are ... they'll almost certainly start ...um .. rearranging your plants. That's a polite way of saying your plants will be ripped to shreds. Assuming they are in the tank as the fish.

Did I mention they do hunt fish? Usually smaller fish at night when the fish are sleeping close to the bottom. Top swimming / sleeping fish are safer.

smokey11 said:
Thanks. Any ideas on the snail?

Your snail is a Colombian ramshorn it's a member of the apple snail family, I have one great guys :)

Third pic is definitely an endler....maybe peacock endler. Fourth pic is an endler/guppy hybrid.

I disagree with the shrimp they seem to be crayfish .. Shrimp dont have claws as it looks on those 2 and flower shrimp will have about 4 appendenges that will open and catch food like a web.

Yep believe they are mini cray fish. Red whip tail looks spot on too. And the tiny ones Do llook like live bearer endlers or some kind of guppy . Snail is prob as suggested above too.

Guess all that's left is the ugly yellow fish that eats algae . I searched online I don't think it's a rubber nose ...

Oops yeah didn't notice the claws. The color look like bamboo shrimp so if they kill you fish and plants those are a good replacement.

Wiggles24 said:
"Ugly yellow fish" looks like an albino bristlenose pleco

+1 looks like an albino Bristlenose, I have the rubbernose plec & he doesn't look like that.

Indeed it looks like an albino bristlenose plecos. U guys r amazing!

Thanks everyone for helping out

It's a Red Lizard Whiptail Pleco L010a or L-10a Had a real nice one for a few years awhile back. Did well in a planted tank.

Welcome!

Crayfish eat small fish and even some bigger ones. Can exist in a larger tank with a special area to call their own, will probably fight each other for territory too. Probably not a good creature for your tank.

Try a CPO Cambarellus patzcuarensis Orange if you like the crayfish. Or some prefer Cajun dwarf cray - Cambarellus Shufeltii

Welcome to AA!.

The other fish are nice! Love the snail, but I understand they eat live plants. I haven't had one personally though.

Maybe the crayfish and the snail can go to a different tank with some fast growing Elodea.

Back
Top Bottom