Need info on dyed/tattooed fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I went into the LFS the last time, they were selling tattooed fish 8O -- whitish goramis with blue or pink patchwork quilt look. I was horrified and left without buying anything. I decided I would send a letter to the store manager and include info on the practice and tell them respectfully that if they sell such fish, I would take my business elsewhere. I'm willing to bet that they don't know how cruel it is and they would stop selling them. Regardless, it sends a message.

So to that end, does anyone know some websites that discuss the ethics of dyed/tatooed fish?

TIA.
:pepsi: :popcorn:

I wish you luck getting them to change what they stock. If they make money on those fish you can bet they aren't probably going to stop selling them. I stand and stare at all the tanks except for the ones with the paint injected fish. Not sure who thought it was a neat idea to do it in the first place.

It is horrible that they do that but I agree the lfs's won't quit selling them unless they don't make money on them. I have asked the managers at more than one lfs if they know how the fish are dyed and tattooed and if so, why do they sell them? Their answer is because people like them and buy them.bb

Tony Starks said:
Im sure there are some, have you tried a search engine? There is a real neato one called www.google.com you could try.

Yeah... I did some searches and found page after page of fish tattoos on humans. :? (even a blue koi tatt). I'll keep working on the searches.

Like it or not, as long as there is a market the wholesalers and jobbers are going to dye fish. I think it's more important for the LFS to give the new aqua-consumer (those that are most likely to buy dyed fish in the first place) the correct lessons in the proper care of the fish so they don't face a lifetime of suffering to go along with the dye dip.

I did find a couple good articles from practical fishkeeping. I'll get those printed off for my LFS.

Why it's cruel to dye

How are fish dyed

I just can't believe they'd sell these kind of fish! I've watched the clerks ask clients how big their tank is and then tell them that an oscar won't fit in a 20 gallon and redirect them to a different fish. They also tell customers they can only have a few danios to start before stocking the tank. (I'd prefer a fishless cycle, but this is a second best.) I've heard them tell someone that it's not a good idea to have angels and barbs together because the barbs will likely nip the angel's fins. This LFS is the best I've ever heard of. It's Petland which is a chain store like Petco even. They guy in the fish department is pretty sharp in my book. I guess I feel a little betrayed that they would sell tattooed fish.

Great info about the sad, cruel practice here:
http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

I'd bet that most people would NOT buy dyed fish if they knew how harmful it it is. It's quite possible that your lfs doesn't know either. Hopefully your LFS owner has a conscience and is willing to educate his customers instead of making a quick buck off their ignorance.

Back
Top Bottom