Need Info on Mollys !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lmacbeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

First of all sorry in advance for the length of this msg !! :?

Basically I've just got 5 Mollys for my 10g tank which had been unstocked for a few months now. I left it up and running however minus fish. I figured it would be good for the filter etc... I have a Fluval 2 filter, a heater and an airpump & airstone.

My lfs recommended I get Mollys as they are the best to start with. It's my first time with a tropical tank.
In the lfs they were described as Assorted Mollys, 2 of them are silver and the other 3 are specked I guess, black & orange/gold...

Reading around now though.... it seems Mollys may not be the best to start with? So any tips, info and advice that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

In time, what other fish could I add to the tank? I saw Pgymy cories in the lfs too and they were very cute... would they be suitable?

Thanks for your time !

well ... depending on where your lfs buys it's mollies from, they may be conditioned for slightly brackish water (more salt than normal), and will get stress from being placed in a freshwater enviroment

I had a batch of black mollies that were that way, however they have since adjusted to freshwater and have reproduced many times

mollies and platies both are great, I've found them to be fairly hearty and they put on a good show for anyone that approaches the tank by begging for food

I've never had any pgymy cories, so I really can't say if they'd be good tank mates or not ... I had a generic cory once, and it would make a terrible mess in the tank, laying eggs everywhere, and they were like superglue, needed a metal razor to scrape them off the glass, and those that got on plastic were basicly unremovable

I have to second the mollies and platies. They are great fish and very entertaining. They do love to beg for food. I have to admit that I keep my tank a little on the brackish side though and they reproduce like rabbits. I've got about 25 that are ready to go to the LFS for credit.

Back
Top Bottom