need info on Nerites and egg laying habits...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glassbird

Aquarium Advice Freak
On another site, I recently came across a posting that mentioned that if you have one nerite of each type in your tank you will not get eggs. For example, if you have a Tiger and a Zebra they won't mate, and hence no eggs. I asked for a confirmation or clarification of this and have not yet received a response.

So I will start my own thread here and ask everyone is this true, or is it a load of hooey?

I bought three Nerites several months ago...a Tiger, a Zebra, and a third variety that I am drawing a blank on the name of. One or more of them started up with the egg laying, and I had little white dots ALL OVER my tank. It got old, quick. But then one of them died, and another decided to go for a walk outside of the tank and was found dried up under the sofa. The one remaining Nerite either was never an egg layer, or it stopped for some reason, because the dots gradually faded away and no more are being added. I would love to get more, but not if I have to put up with the eggs!:evil:

They will lay eggs in FW but they won't hatch. We have tons of eggs in our FW tanks, but the only ones that have hatched out have been the ones in our BW. At least I can keep a steady population this way. ;)

Right, none of the eggs hatched. And that is why I went with Nerites over any other snail, because I did not want any more snails than the three that I purchased. I just did not realize how visible the eggs would be, and how many! Now I need to know if I can get one each of other types and not have the egg problem start up again.

They an lay a LOT of eggs at one time. I have three zebra nerites in a 37 gal tank and decided yesterday to move one over to a 20 gal tank that I have. By morning time she had laid TWENTY eggs on one of the large rocks in there!

I think they're cool looking!
Gamer, I was freaked out by the assassins before I got them, but now I handle them all the time. :D

Back
Top Bottom