Need instructions ASAP please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iforged

Aquarium Advice Regular
Guys,
So my friend just gave me his sponge from his 55gal tank to put in my tank to boost the cycle. (or finish it up quicker) I had nitrites in tank off the charts already for 1.5 weeks, and seeing nitrates now. So to boost it even more, he gave me his whole sponge from his running tank.

So my questions is, WHERE do i put his sponge in my filter? I got the 3-stage Fluval 306 Canister filter. buttom tray Sponge, middle tray ceramic tubes, top tray is my carbon bags.

WHERE do i stick his sponge at? Can I just put it inside the aquarium near the Air Bubble Wall? OR do i put it inside my canister trays, and if so WHERE and HOW?

Please help, dont got much time before the bacteria in his sponge will start to die off?

thanks

You want to put it in the filter where the BB gets plenty of oxygenated water. I prefer keeping my biological media in the upper or last basket the water passes through so it is basically clean water going through the bio media.

Guys,
So my friend just gave me his sponge from his 55gal tank to put in my tank to boost the cycle. (or finish it up quicker) I had nitrites in tank off the charts already for 1.5 weeks, and seeing nitrates now. So to boost it even more, he gave me his whole sponge from his running tank.

So my questions is, WHERE do i put his sponge in my filter? I got the 3-stage Fluval 306 Canister filter. buttom tray Sponge, middle tray ceramic tubes, top tray is my carbon bags.

WHERE do i stick his sponge at? Can I just put it inside the aquarium near the Air Bubble Wall? OR do i put it inside my canister trays, and if so WHERE and HOW?

Please help, dont got much time before the bacteria in his sponge will start to die off?

thanks

Isn't there empty space in your 306 on the left for sponges? Should be a blatantly open area that's where sponges go

You want to put it in the filter where the BB gets plenty of oxygenated water. I prefer keeping my biological media in the upper or last basket the water passes through so it is basically clean water going through the bio media.

Hey Jenis, Well i followed your set up instructions when i was setting up my 306, and i believe you said to do sponge on the bottom, ceramics in the middle and the carbon bag on the top? Since ill be opening up my filter, I might be able to move stuff around... how should i set it up if i have it wrong?

Also, So I can just stick his sponge to the side of the trays/big filter pad? did i understand it correctly?

The long sponges are a certain size and they come with a sponge on the bottom basket of the filters. I'm assuming the seeded sponge is only going to be in the filter for a limited time so placement should be close to and right before the permanent bio-media if possible.

Hey Jenis, Well i followed your set up instructions when i was setting up my 306, and i believe you said to do sponge on the bottom, ceramics in the middle and the carbon bag on the top? Since ill be opening up my filter, I might be able to move stuff around... how should i set it up if i have it wrong?

Also, So I can just stick his sponge to the side of the trays/big filter pad? did i understand it correctly?

I have mine set up with the sponge on the bottom, then polyfill, then chemical filtration "if" I use any at all, then bio-media on top. I personally prefer bio-media as the last stage of filtration so that the cleanest water goes through them last so as not to muck them up.

I have mine set up with the sponge on the bottom, then polyfill, then chemical filtration "if" I use any at all, then bio-media on top. I personally prefer bio-media as the last stage of filtration so that the cleanest water goes through them last so as not to muck them up.

I have my sponges in the left as mentioned, bottom tray biomedia, then another biomedia tray topped off with polyfill, then a whole tray of polyfill. Works excellent

Okay great, I will see If i can put the his sponge next to my sponge in tray, before the ceramic tubes. I might replaced my carbon bags tray with pollyfill later on.

thanks for the advice, I will let you know how it goes lol

guys, can i rearrage the set up to be like this, BOTTOM TRAY put my friends sponge, ON top of that put a tray with my sponge, and then ceramics at the top?? there is no room on the side or anywhere else in the 306 to stick the old sponge, only in tray. So will this work???

guys, can i rearrage the set up to be like this, BOTTOM TRAY put my friends sponge, ON top of that put a tray with my sponge, and then ceramics at the top?? there is no room on the side or anywhere else in the 306 to stick the old sponge, only in tray. So will this work???

That will work fine.

Yeah ditch the carbon, not necessary at all. Only for minor exceptions like removing meds or chlorine/chloramines which should be eliminated prior to entering the tank anyway

You can put it wherever it will fit. Personally I stick it in the same container as your ceramic rings. If it won't fit there, ditch the carbon and stick it between your sponges and the ceramic rinrings. I only use activated carbon to remove meds.

Back
Top Bottom