Need live plant help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clynnking

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need help with what to do with some plants I ordered. I got Pellia fern and they look like they are between a plastic grid? Do I take it out of the plastic grid or is it intended to grow through it? I also got marimo balls. Do they just float? I am a gardener outdoors but new to aquatic plants. Please advise:blink:

Yeah the Marino balls just kinda sit where you put them. Some bigger fish will push them around he tank.
On the other one, is it like a little plastic slotted pot with rockwool inside it?

I think they mean a plastic grid like the ones u get when u order from aquamagic. Com. When I got my order I took them out but I'm sure if u left it it would still grow out. Leaving the plants in the grid thing might even help by weighing the plant down and guarding it from being eating by inhabitants.

Thanks for the replies-I did get them from aquamagic.com. It is a flat plastic grid. Mine seem to be floating-I'll weight it down if you think it will grow through the grid. I wanted this fern as a place for my livebearer babies and small fish to hide. Of course no instructions came with the plants. I have been looking them up on line. I knew they were all low light plants which is why I ordered them. :):)
So far the marimo balls are all floating-will they eventually sink?

If you want it to grow like this leave it in the grid....eBay - Flame Moss pad Live aquarium plants water low light kh, Similar items search

If it has some nice growth through the mesh I wouldn't take it out. It can take some time to accomplish that and IMO it would be a waste to take it out.
It's a pain to attach to objects any other way, and if you just put pieces on the gravel they will float away and likely end up in your filter.

Can you post a pic? I am curious to see what Aquatic Magic product is like.
Is the moss ball small??

Sorry I don't have a way to post. This grid would be like thick needlepoint mesh 4" X 2" then folded in half with plant in between. I just got it in the mail today and put it in the tank water-its still cycling. Total size is 2" X 2". The "grid" of the plastic that it would grow through (I guess) is a bit smaller than 1/4". From what I read on their site, this fern is jelly-like?

The moss balls will sink. When I rinse them I squeeze them under water and that makes them sink nicely. I have four now. Obsessed with them. So pretty.

Pellia is correct. The picture is cool but instructions about what to do with the grid. Guess I will try leaving it in there. It looks kind of brown so I am not even sure if its alive. I will leave it in the tank and see if it perks up.

Back
Top Bottom