need major advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janeth0185

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok, well i will be moving outta state in a few months and im just wondering how am i going to move my fish with me.i dont wanna give them way ,but i dont want them to die either.so i wanna know what should be the things i should get to prepare them to come along with me...its actually a long trip.it will be a 3 day trip ( from kansas to south florida).and im also worried because i will be moving when its winter time ( december or january).so what things should i get ,nothing too expensive, and how could i keep the temp in the water that they will be traveling in warm enough.and also has anyone taken long trips with there fishes and there fishes survived.?

I would package them the same as if you were going to mail them. If you have space, you can pack them in even larger bags and pack them in a cooler. If it's cold, add a heat pack.

I would use Kordon Breather Bags to pack the fish in, keep the bags in a cooler and add heat packs if necessary. As well, don't feed the fish for a couple of days prior to the move.I believe Kordon recommends the use of Amquel or something similar in the bags. Regardless, the fish can survive for more than 3 days in breather bags, which gives you a buffer when you arrive, should you need to keep them in the bags for another day or two.

I would use Kordon Breather Bags to pack the fish in, keep the bags in a cooler and add heat packs if necessary. As well, don't feed the fish for a couple of days prior to the move.I believe Kordon recommends the use of Amquel or something similar in the bags. Regardless, the fish can survive for more than 3 days in breather bags, which gives you a buffer when you arrive, should you need to keep them in the bags for another day or two.

where can i purchase kordon breather bags??? and do i pack the fish individually???and how long exactly should i not feed them? and when do i start feeding them again?

Shouldn't be to hard with that stock list, I would just empty half the tank and place it in a large box with loads of insulation and heat packs, replacing when they burn out, you coud also add a battery powered air stone to help keep the water well oxygenated. I wouldnt buy any new fish till after the move, don't feed the day before or until you arrive, fish can go days without food.
If you do decide to bag the fish, remember to double bag the cory as they have a little spike on there top dorsal which can puncture bags and I've read they also can give of a toxin that is poisonous to other fish in transport.

Last edited:
I just recently moved from Mississippi to cali about two weeks ago. It was warm the whole way so I don't know what it will be like when you move but I will share with you how I did mine. I move two tanks of fish in two separate buckets. I drilled holes in my bucket cover to help with the gas exchange and one for the battery powered bubbler hose. I also bought these sponge filter things that hook up to the bubbler. I seeded the filter in my tank for about a month before the actual move. And that's about it. I did loose four fish. Three in the actual move. Let me know if u have any more questions

Shouldn't be to hard with that stock list, I would just empty half the tank and place it in a large box with loads of insulation and heat packs, replacing when they burn out, you coud also add a battery powered air stone to help keep the water well oxygenated. I wouldnt buy any new fish till after the move, don't feed the day before or until you arrive, fish can go days without food.
If you do decide to bag the fish, remember to double bag the cory as they have a little spike on there top dorsal which can puncture bags and I've read they also can give of a toxin that is poisonous to other fish in transport.

I just recently moved from Mississippi to cali about two weeks ago. It was warm the whole way so I don't know what it will be like when you move but I will share with you how I did mine. I move two tanks of fish in two separate buckets. I drilled holes in my bucket cover to help with the gas exchange and one for the battery powered bubbler hose. I also bought these sponge filter things that hook up to the bubbler. I seeded the filter in my tank for about a month before the actual move. And that's about it. I did loose four fish. Three in the actual move. Let me know if u have any more questions

so when i move the tank itself, what do i do exactly to it???i have a hob filter.should i just empty most of water leaving a bit or what do i do?? and the filter dont know exactly if i leave it alone or do somethin to it???

so when i move the tank itself, what do i do exactly to it???i have a hob filter.should i just empty most of water leaving a bit or what do i do?? and the filter dont know exactly if i leave it alone or do somethin to it???

If the filter was small enough I would place it in the tank, or in a bag with the other half of the tank water to help preserve some of the beneficial bacteria. I've no experience with HOB's, so maybe someone else will help out.

janeth0185 said:

I used a separate bucket just for the filter media. With just a little bit of tank water. And cover it. When I got to cali I set up my tanks and didn't have to deal with another cycle. As far as the tank I would leave a little bit of water in it to try and preserve the BB in the substrate

Back
Top Bottom