Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need male/female mollies advice

Hi all,
My husband and I are aquarium newbs. We have a 55-gal aquarium that we have had for almost 2 months now. It currently has 2 Cory catfish, 4 tetras, a clown loach, and 3 black mollies. Overall aquarium health seems good (water levels are healthy - just tested a couple days ago, temp is at 78, hubs has been vacuuming and doing about a 10-15% water change weekly, we have a variety of foods we are feeding, etc). Over the past 4-5 days, one of our mollies has been hiding out with his dorsal fin pressed straight down against his back, and I'm not sure he's been eating an awful lot. Prior to this, the 3 mollies swam together and generally seemed to get along, but the largest molly would become pretty "nippy" during feeding time, and often chase the other mollies off (he's even gotten a bit nippy with the other species during feeding, but not terrible). After doing some research, it seems we may have two males and a female, so I'm considering getting a few more females to help the dynamics of the social structure in the tank. The one female we have has also been hiding out near the filter current, so I wonder if she's also sick of the male-dominated atmosphere. I had considered getting a couple dalmatian mollies. Do I need to get black female mollies like the others, or do other colors of mollies help solve sex dominance issues? Also I may be way off thinking this is even the problem, so any other advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Old 10-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes try to keep 2 girls per male or more

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 10-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

But it doesn't matter what color (black, Dalmatian, etc)?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No it dose not

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 10-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any color molly will breed with any other color molly. Pet store kept mollies do not seem to be as strong as the ones birthed and raised in home tanks. My first three were always getting sick but their offspring have been very hardy. Never had one get sick yet. You can add a little salt into the tank if you think one of them is sick. Clamped fins is a sign of stress or illness. They are sensitive to high nitrates too. If my nitrates get above 20 mine start acting weird. Two females to one male is the suggested stocking but I find that three females to each male works better. Males are easy to tell from females. The males have a longer, pointed anal fin. Females have a full, square shaped anal fin. My mollies play in the filter current a lot. After a filter cleaning, when the water is running really fast, they rush to it and surf.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks @wildroseofky ...the nitrates seem fine per our last test, but I do still question if there is an illness or infection, especially if he has nipping injuries. We may try the salt treatment in our iso tank.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellen View Post
Thanks @wildroseofky ...the nitrates seem fine per our last test, but I do still question if there is an illness or infection, especially if he has nipping injuries. We may try the salt treatment in our iso tank.

Yes, do your treatments in an isolation tank. The loach and Corys would not appreciate the salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Does the fish use his tail to swim or just waddles back and forth. If this is the case it csn be clamped fin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 10-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Be careful adding salt, it is not good for cories. Keep in mind, mollies are live bearers so you may end up with a bunch of babies.

Are you sure the it is a male? My live bearers do strange things when pregnant and near giving birth.

It could also be constipated, especially if it eats a lot. Try feeding a smashed, boiled pea that is not seasoned or buttered. That will move things along - keep the serving sizes small.

Cories are schooling fish and should have at least 5-6 in their posse.

I didn't know any of this and have learned a lot from this site. People on here are way more reliable than the people who work at pet stores.

Good luck!

Tags
advice, female, male, mollie, mollies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com