Need molly fry help A.S.A.P!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tseros7768

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright, my silver molly just gave birth to around 25 fry and i currently have them in a 1 gallon tank.(Petsmart reccomended this size for a low budget).I took the rocks out so they wouldn't drown, and have floating plants in. I would be delighted if I could keep them all, but how do i try to save as many as possible? Please help me in my beggining experience.
Thank You,
Tseros7768

Do you have another tank you could rehome the mollies in and use the 1g for a grow tank? If no, you could stick the adult mollies in a breeder trap while the fry grow, its easier to rehome a few adults than 25 fry.

thanks lowryder,but unfortunantly i do not have a rehoming tank for the fry. I could put the adults like you said in a breeding tank. so i have that don how must i keep the fry alive?
Tseros7768

My silver molly, also from Petsmart, gave birth to about 25 fry two days after I bought her and brought her home. I didn't do anything special because I didn't know she was pregnant and I didn't have any special equipment on hand. The fry were born into a community tank. This might sound harsh, but I'm a 'circle of life' kind of a girl, and I decided to let nature take its course. Well, that was almost three months ago and I have six lovely silver molly juveniles, including one runt, plus their mother. When they get a little bigger, my lfs said I could donate them and they would sell them (which is fine with me). I'll probably keep one female so Silver (the mother) has a friend. I don't want to breed fish and I am hyper-vigilant about trying to purchase male fish. I can't always ensure the sex of the fish - like neon tetras, African dwarf frogs, etc. Anyway, good luck with your surprise fry!

well thank you twoapennything. How long should it be until i notice their growth?

well thank you twoapennything. How long should it be until i notice their growth?

You're welcome :) They actually grow quite quickly! When they're first born they're barely visible, but within a couple of weeks you'll be able to see them clearly. Mine are almost 3 months old now and they are most definitely mollies - they have the shape, the mouth, etc. I can even tell which ones are boys and which are girls. You'll be surprised how fast they grow and how self-sufficient they are.

Back
Top Bottom