need more fish and not sure what to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chiefs101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my aquarium for about 6 months. I have been a little slow on buying fish but as of right now i have 3 zebra danios 1 red tail shark, and 1 chinese algae eater. I am not sure what else to buy any suggestions. I would like fish with somwhat of an active and unique behavior color isnt my biggest priority. this tank is 29 gallons and is obviously a devoloping community tank.

Either 2 or 3 dwarf gouramis or a few rainbows would look great. The rainbows are a bit more active, IMO. The dwarf gouramis I had were cool, but the rainbows I now have are a blast, lol. Then, with them, could do 1 nice school of some tetras. :)

A school of boesemani or dwarf neon rainbows would be active and quite interesting.

I thought the larger (ie: boesemani) rainbows needed a 50 gal tank ?

As for additions for this tank I'd definitely vote for the cories. My panda cories are my favorites - I can sit and watch them for hours on end. They LOVE playing in the bubbles from the bubble wand, its a hoot - even my husband (who's already getting a little jealous of the fish) was hysterical laughing watching them.

Bettas and gouramis are intelligent fish and have real personalities. They seem to be thinking about things, and they are interested in the other fish around them. My betta patrols the tank and is always sticking his nose in everyone else's business.

Rams also seem smart and have some very interesting behaviors. The males butt heads (like rams!) in competition with one another, and they do the whole nesting and working together to raise the young thing. I think they are more difficult to keep, though (sensitive to water conditions), if I'm not mistaken.

Kissing gouramis are always neat.

Loaches are very cool. Especially the kind that burrow in the sand.

Corycats are like clowns, especially in large groups.

Of course, you will need to think about compatibility and the size of your tank when making any selection.

joannde said:
I thought the larger (ie: boesemani) rainbows needed a 50 gal tank ?
They can get to about 3.5" but will be fine in a 30" tank IMO. 29g would be the minimum size.

i went to the lfs and I was looking at the dwarf gouramis but then I asked if i could have a group of four tiger barbs in there and thats what i got. Thinks for the input though.

*hand raised, QUESTION

i heard betta is kinda fighting fish, will they attack other fish? or annoying chasing after the others?
what about the shark? did the shark ever bother your zebras (or other fishy)?
i wanna add a betta too, but the bettas in LFS look very inactive, every single betta is poorly placed in one single jar(a size of a fist), and they all sink to the bottom stare at something, they just look unhealthy IMO, is that the regular way they treat bettas?

also i want to add a dwarf clowed frog, do u think that will be ok ?

ty~

arrow1234 said:
i heard betta is kinda fighting fish, will they attack other fish? or annoying chasing after the others?

Betta fish are fighting fish but its generally only male Bettas which attack other males of the same species. They can also occasionally mistake fish with flowing fins, like angelfish, and attack them. However, Bettas get along great with most other fish, as long as they are the only betta/long, flowy finned fish in the tank. For example, they do well with tetras and bottom feeders.

The shark bassicaly keeps to itself. Now that I got the tiger barbs he is actually swimming around with them. He/her? does not quarel with anybody.

One caution to a betta in a community tank (other than the other fish with flowing fins that was already mentioned) is to watch out for hiding places. Bettas will squeeze themselves into tight spots. I had one who worked his way UNDER a hollow ornament, where he got lost inside and died :( Now all my hollow ornaments are stuffed with filter floss to avoid that disaster from happening to anyone else.
Also remember that bettas don't like strong currents, so make sure that you have a place that is protected from the currents for him to rest in.

Back
Top Bottom